Trouble with Peace

Chyna stood before Cap, Johnsey,  Anse and Jim Vance blinking  rapidly

Chyna stood before Cap, Johnsey, Anse and Jim Vance blinking rapidly.

"you want her to do what now?" Jim asked nearly shouting.

"we need the extra hands with uncle Ellison gone. Cotton's helping but he ain't really enough. " Cap reasoned.

Anse focused hard on his son and removed his pipe from his mouth pointing at Cap with it.

"and just what makes you think I'll hire her, or that a woman, nigro or otherwise belongs working timber anyhow" Anse asked slowly.

Johnsey watched quietly, he knew Cap's idea would never fly with their Pa.

"she's strong, her arms and hands is sturdy. Hell if she can pull potatoes outta froze over dirt she can handle a end of a saw jus fine" Cap reasoned calmly.

While he looked serious he did not look overly concerned.

Anse huffed and popped his pipe back into his mouth.

"I mean, you wouldn't have to pay her much, she is a - a nigger" Cap said almost uncomfortably.

Jim snickered as the boy flinched.

"she don't need much, but Cotton needs another income in the house to survive" Cap added.

Anse sighed heavily and looked to Chyna. "ain't got nothing to say? " he asked sharply.

Chyna blinked some more. She wasn't sure how all this took place, just that Cap nearly drug her to his house after work.

"I'm - mister Hatfield sir, I'd be glad to work for you an your kin if in it means taking better care of Cotton" Chyna stammered out quickly.

"aw come on, Pa you can't be serious! She ain't got no place up there or here for that matter." Johnsey protested. Cap turned to him with eyes on fire but tried to speak levely "you can't talk big brother. Hell you ain't worked the lumber since you built that still up in the mountains" Cap said.

"Even so. Gosh damn colored staying 'round here like she's family and she ain't she's hired help - Cotton's hired help" Johnsey shot back.

"but Chyna is my family...." Cotton murmured finally speaking up from were he sat at the table.

Chyna tried to hide her smile and lowered her head.

Cap folded his arms. "you need the extra arms and legs, period. It's just good business and helps out your nephew "Cap said plainly.

Anse was quiet for a moment.

"you make a good point" he said as if a little impressed with Cap's mind for business.

"oh" Johnsey scowled before storming out the living room.

Jim shrugged "ain't my say so, just don't come bothering me" he barked before following Johnsey.