Chapter Twenty-Nine- Quiet

When I awoke the next day, Victoria didn't seem to be in much of a talking mood, and I didn't know quite why until she mentioned about the room-share. Today was supposedly the last day we would share the dorm room, and then we would have to be relocated.

Except of course, that wouldn't be happening.

Victoria had said that, but then not mentioned why, which led me to question whether she was drunk when she had admitted what she had the previous evening- that she liked me.

Maybe I was just overthinking it and being silly, I was good at that, but still, I couldn't help but wonder.

"Okay well, get Marcus on the phone, please?" Victoria said.

Next thing she was sat on her bed staring down at her phone screen with her eyebrows furrowed. 

She had been put on hold. She tapped her freshly crimson-painted finger nails against the phone and then looked towards me.

"Greene,"

"Yes?" I asked, my tone perhaps too hopeful.

"Did you dress in the dark this morning?" she replied.

Maybe she was drunk last night....it was becoming more convincing that she had been.

"I didn't change my outfit from yesterday," I said.

What I had meant to say was that I was wearing the outfit I had the previous day, after changing out of my pyjamas, perhaps worded slightly wrong there, because Victoria rose an eyebrow in a mix between disgust and surprise.

"You did what?" she asked, I opened my mouth to speak more but she held up a finger signalling that the person on the other side of the telephone call was speaking to her.

Great.

I waited for a bit before Victoria spoke again.

"No, I want Kate as my roommate...well, forget what I said before. No, I am okay sharing a double room, it was just a slight burst of eccentricity, I am fine sharing with Greene." She said.

I let out a breath. Well, that was promising.

"Okay then, it's done. We're not switching," she said, and then abruptly ended the call.

She looked up to me and gave the trace of a smile, but it all too quickly disappeared.

What was she thinking about?

Victoria was being uncharacteristically quiet, and had been since the early hours of the morning. Perhaps she was just tired or had forgotten to eat breakfast or...

"Swan texted me yesterday," she replied.

"She did?"

Victoria nodded.

"Being her usual self," she added.

Oh. Maybe that was why she was...well, being the way she was.

"She says I don't have a chance with you," she replied.

"Well she's wrong," I wanted to say, but there was a knock at the door, so I went to answer it. When I opened it, the person standing in front of me was Margo.

"Hey Greeny," she said, immediately ruffling my already overly-bushy blonde hair.

"And Lace, how is the new couple doing this morning?"

Margo...

Victoria huffed in what seemed impatience, and then rolled her eyes before heading out of the dorm.