Chapter 1: Cross Academy!

Chapter 1:

Cross Academy!

   I was packing my clothes and bathroom things into a suit case. My mother watching from the doorway, tears welling in her eyes; I couldn’t believe I was leaving her. I was going to the private school, Cross Academy and I couldn’t wait! I felt her sadness and depression as she watched me get ready for a new life which didn’t involve any need for her in any way. She was sad as she saw I didn’t need her in life anymore.

   “I—I think that’s it,” I murmured and smiled in her direction. She sniffed loudly and tried to hold back the tears.

   “Are you sure? Why don’t you check again just to be on the safe side?” I sighed as her face turned old and sad. I was 16 and going to Cross Academy would be a dream! So many new people! So many sights to see! Oh, just amazing!

   “I’m sorry Mum,” I whispered and zipped my suitcase up. I picked up my keys and dragged my wheelie suit case along the floor.

   “I—I just can’t believe you’re leaving…” She stuttered as the tears finally escaped from her dark eyes. Her blue makeup smudging and her cheeks turning a darker red; I couldn’t take seeing my Mum like this… She never cries, only when something REALLY terrible happens and I think this is a good thing—well, for me anyway…

   I turned my back on her. I couldn’t watch her cry any longer, “I’m sorry Mum, but I have to grow up soon. I’m 16 now and I think I’m ready to go to this school. I really want to go and nothing’s going to stop me.” I grinned and gave her the thumbs up, “I’ll be fine, don’t worry about me.”

   Mum sniffed loudly once again and picked out a tissue from her woollen jumper sleeve. She blew her nose and I rolled my eyes at her. So much for the nice moment there…

   “Just be safe OK? Anything strange or if you just feel uncomfortable, give me a call and I’ll come get you, OK?” She exclaimed. I nodded but that was fake. Even if I felt uncomfortable I’d still stay. Apparently this school is mysterious and some people can’t exactly tell why. I love mysterious things.

   “I will, see ya.” I said and walked downstairs. My taxi was waiting for me out the front of my house. Mum quickly caught my arm.

   “Oh, and this is for you,” She muttered trying not to burst into tears. Her voice shaky but I could still understand her. She handed me a silver necklace with a carving of a white rose on the end. I feel in love with it when I laid eyes on it!

   “Oh, wow! Mum! Thank you! It’s so beautiful!” I said watching it dreamily. I quickly placed it around my neck and felt its cold chain touch my warm skin. I shivered but it felt nice. I never wore necklaces before but this was the one I’d wear all the time! I loved it that much! A memento from Mum!

   “You be careful, and don’t get into any trouble!” She said; she raised her voice a little but she was being serious. I wasn’t good with my reputation from the past. I’ve had so many boyfriends, I’ve now lost track! I decided to change my attitude and became single for an entire year! So far, so good!

   “Yeah, I will! Promise! Besides, what’s going to happen anyway? They’re not going to be all Vampires or something random like that! They’re not going to eat me or anything,” I laughed as I spoke those sarcastic words and I opened the taxi door. “I’ll be OK, Mum. You don’t have to worry about anything.” I smiled at her and she stepped beside me to hug and kiss me goodbye. I felt tears build up in my eyes now.

   “That’s my girl; you’ll never let me down.” She grinned behind those clear tears strolling down her face and onto her green, sequin top.