iii

"BANG BANG BANG"

I jolted awake at the sound of G-Dragon's voice, my hand flying under my pillow to turn off my alarm. I sat there for a few minutes, just calming down. Heart still pounding, I slid out of bed and walked to the bathroom to start getting ready.

I quickly changed my pad and washed up, combing my hair and spreading moisturizer over my face. Then I walked back to my room and put on a baggy white shirt and my favourite ripped jeans. I only wore baggy shirts so that nobody could see the outline of my binder.

Walking downstairs with my backpack, I grabbed an apple before shoving my feet into my shoes and running out the door, beginning the lonely walk to school.

While most people my age hated school, I actually liked it. At school I could present myself as a boy, like I wanted to. At home, I was forced to be the daughter my mother thought I was.

"Jungkook! Wait... wait up!" A voice called from behind me. I stopped, turning my head to see my friend Jimin running up to me.

I smiled once he reached me. "Hey, Kook."

"Good morning, Jimin hyung." I said as we began walking together.

"How was your weekend?"

I pouted. "I got my period."

Jimin instantly stopped, turned to me and gave me a tight hug. "Aww, Jungkook-ah. I'm sorry." His brown eyes looked into mine as I lifted my head. "Hey, you just gotta stay strong for this year. After you graduate, you'll be free to be who you really are."

I smiled at him. "Thank you, hyung. Now come on, I don't wanna be late." I tugged on his arm to follow me as I began walking at a faster pace.

Jimin was already graduated but worked at the school as a teacher aid. He was studying to be a teacher, so he had to be a student teacher for a while before he could be fully certified. I had met him when I first came to this school four years ago, and he showed me around. We were best friends ever since. Other than Jimin, I only had one friend my age, Kim Yugyeom.

We finally arrived at the school, and we went out separate ways: me to my first period class, and Jimin to wherever he was posted. It was too bad he wasn't helping out in any of my classes.

I went to my locker before class, getting my books for maths. When I turned around, someone was standing there. "Gyeomie!" I cheered, hugging him. He grinned.

"Sup, Kook?" Yugyeom grinned. "Ready for maths?"

I groaned, shutting my locker and falling into step beside him. "Am I ever ready for maths?"

Yugyeom chuckled. "I don't know why you don't just take a lower level, it'd be so much easier for you."

"Yeah, I know but it's a bit too late now, isn't it?" I raised my eyebrows, playfully nudging Yugyeom's arm. We soon arrived at our math classroom, and Yugyeom held the door while I walked in and headed for my desk. We sat next to each other on the side farthest from the door, by the windows.

A few people were already sitting down, either chatting quietly to each other or on their phones. We both took our seats, and I took out my math books and a pencil, getting ready for the lesson.

As the clock ticked closer to class time, more and more people entered and soon enough the only person we were missing was the teacher, who was usually late anyway.

But when a man walked through the door seven minutes after the bell, and it was not our teacher, I began to panic. I hated substitutes.

When I first came out at school, surprisingly most people had been accepting. I had talked with all my teachers and got them to call me Jungkook instead of my birth name. However since I couldn't legally change my name yet, it didn't say Jungkook on the attendance sheets. So whenever a substitute was in, it was absolute terror for me.

"Good morning class. I'm your substitute, Mr. Choi. Your usual teacher, Miss Kim, is out due to illness. I hope you will show me what a well behaved class she told me you were," he began, walking to the desk. He picked up the attendance folder and moved to stand at the front of the class. Adjusting his glasses, he cleared his throat and smiled. "Well then, why don't we start with attendance?"

"Bae Yoo-bin?"

"Here!"

I glanced over at Yugyeom, panic written all over my face. He gave me a tight smile, knowing exactly why I was so distraught. When I focused my attention back to the teacher, he was almost at my name.

"Kim Ji-ho?"

"Present!"

"Kim Mingyu?"

"Here."

"Kim Yugyeom?"

"Here."

I waited. I knew my name was next.

"Jeon Ji Su?"

I swallowed and shakily put my hand up. "I-It's Jungkook, sir."

Mr. Choi looked at me funny. "No, it says right here that it's Ji Su. Do you think I can't read?"

"His name is Jungkook, sir. Please call him that." Yugyeom stood up, bowing quickly.

I looked up at him and whispered a "thank you". He just nodded and looked at the teacher, who looked somewhat offended.

"Excuse me, young man, but I will not be addressing this young woman by any name other than the one on this paper, understood?" Yugyeom sighed but sat down, shooting me an apologetic look. I just shook my head. "Goddamn snowflakes, think they're so special," Mr. Choi added quietly, obviously not meant for anybody to hear, but I heard and bit down hard on my lip, feeling the metallic taste of blood enter my mouth.

Shutting my eyes, I laid my head on the desk as I heard whispers all around the class. Suddenly I felt a hand on my arm, and peeked my eyes out to see Yugyeom. "Do you need to leave?" I just nodded, feeling tears prick at my eyes. He nodded, grabbing his stuff and shoving it in his bag. I quietly did the same, as Yugyeom stood up and grabbed my hand. "Mr. Choi, Jungkook doesn't feel well. I'm taking him to the nurse." And then without even waiting for a reply, Yugyeom led me out of the classroom, leaving behind an awestruck class and a fuming substitute teacher.