Burning Red

Burning Red, which debuts this FALL (look out for the official date to be announced in the coming weeks) is the second (of possibly three, but maaaybe just two) novels in the RED series, which is apart of the Black Boys Are Magic Series that consi...

Burning Red, which debuts this FALL (look out for the official date to be announced in the coming weeks) is the second (of possibly three, but maaaybe just two) novels in the RED series, which is apart of the Black Boys Are Magic Series that consists of Seeing Red and Saint. 

Here are a 30 things to get you excited for it!

1. Burning Red is as satirical as the first novel, if not more. 

2. Burning Red focuses a lot less on 'the struggle" and more on the culture of black people. It's far less political, but doesn't shy away from those topics either.

3. It's inspired by a lot of television shows, mainly Atlanta, Insecure, Bojack Horseman, Veep, Silicon Valley, and Dear White People. It also is inspired by music from Beyonce, SZA, Childish Gambino and The Migos.

4. BR's main themes revolve around the perceived light skins vs dark skins war, gay black culture, interracial relationships, abortion rights, the role of fathers, mental health issues, infidelity, hip hop culture and its effects on black culture and the role of our white allies. 

5. There is so much misdirection, misunderstanding, foreshadowing and situational irony planned that I don't know if it's okay to use all of those literary techniques in one novel. 

6. BR will maintain my resistance to rely heavily on romance. Reece and Ashley will be portrayed as grown ass adults having a grown ass adult relationship. The cutesy, overly fluffy stuff won't be happening. It is twentysomethings finding their way through their twnetysomethings. 

7. Kenzie will have several POV chapters and in some instances, chapters all to himself. However, where Ashley and Reece have TWO POVs during chapters, Kenzie will only have 1.

8. BR will not be following the stereotype that baby mamas are all uneducated, gold digging hoes. Gina will be a person, not a plot point and is as educated as they come. She's just an angry black woman and you might not wanna fuck with an angry black woman, as kenzie is about to find out.

9. The first three chapters are titled:

i. damn gina 

ii. doing the most 

iii. f**kboys II: the return of the fuckboy

10. Ashley and Reece prove to be a formidable team

11. BR will maintain SR's humor and profanity. Expect more creative insults.

12. 6 cast members are leaving, while 8 are added (see below). 

13. Ella Red, like the south, will try to rise again.

14. Both Liza and Ashley face being called out for various reasons.