39. Come back

AMELIA

"Are you warm enough, my Queen?"

Harry's soothing voice reaches my ears as I open my tired eyes, looking up at him, seeing a gentle smile on his face. There's yet another blanket in his hands, covering my already layered body in order to keep me warm. We've been travelling for nine months and have passed quite a way, our home only a distant memory. The land we're in is cold and enveloped in a rigid coat of white snow and glistening frozen ice. A rich Lord living in it is our best chance of winning against Edgar. His army is powerful, well equipped and trained, but reaching him is going to be troubling.

"Yes, don't worry. You can stop stealing blankets from the poor crew members, everyone is already freezing," I scold him, a small smile playing on my lips as he sits beside me.

"Excuse me, but I have two people to keep warm." The expanse of his palm covers the surface of my protruding stomach, rubbing it tenderly and slowly. 

I can feel a sting of tears in my eyes all of a sudden. "Oh my, that is so sweet!" I flail my hands in front of my face, blinking the tears away as a flood of emotions takes over me. "You are so sweet."

Harry laughs nervously, taking my hand in his. "Oh come on, don't cry... again..."

"Don't tell me not to cry all the time, how about you don't breathe!" I snap, suddenly getting angry.

He cringes, leaning away slightly. "Remember those mood changes my father warned us about? How are you handling those?"

"Hmm, I haven't really had any yet," I calmly state with a soft smile, my tears and anger now long forgotten.

"Right, we are so lucky." He rolls his eyes playfully, letting out a laugh as he gazes at me lovingly.

Worry lines are visible on his face, the dark circles underneath his bloodshot eyes a clear sign he's been lacking sleep and rest, the result of hours of working and developing plans with his father. Harry has been a true prince in every sense of that word for the past months, fighting to get us all back to our home and reclaim it once again. He's learnt so much about being a leader and king and I am convinced when the time comes, he's going to be an amazing one.

I raise my hand, my fingers curling around the nape of his neck, pulling him down towards me. I lift my head, pressing my lips against his in a firm yet sweet kiss, my thumb stroking the area beneath his ear, his hair tickling my cheeks. It's much longer now, the tips falling past his shoulders, the front strands usually swiped to one side. 

"Why don't you get some rest, hm?" I ask. "I can go and finish your work with Henry."

"Absolutely not. It's too cold and it's late, you must sleep." He shakes his head, looking down at my stomach. "The baby needs it, too."

"I will, if you join me," I bargain, knowing very well it's impossible for him to refuse me. When he purses his lips and sighs in resignation, a grin forms on my lips as I shift to the side, making space for him in the bed.

He takes off his boots and runs his long fingers through his messy hair, lifting the blankets in order to scoot himself close to me in this small warm cocoon, laying on his side. Like he usually does, he places his hand on my stomach, his face nuzzling into the crook of my neck, the warmth of his breath fanning against my skin making me shiver in the most comfortable way.

"You know we mustn't continue our journey for much longer," Harry speaks quietly.

My palm clamps the top of his on my stomach, my fingers slotting between the gaps of his own. "I know. But it is too cold in this land, it's not a place to give birth to a frail child."