[Chapter 49]: Alleyway

"You okay (y/n), you've seemed kinda out of it this whole time?" Takashi questioned you from his seat next to your hospital bed. He was the only one allowed in to see you since he was your guardian. You looked up at him, snapping out of the trance you had fallen into.

"Oh... Everything's fine. Just still experiencing some pain."

"I'll call the nurs-"

"NO!" You frantically yelled. Takashi jumped before furrowing his brow.

"Okay okay I won't, relax... Why are you so on edge?"

How do I even answer him at this point? I don't know what these people want from me, yet they went to the lengths of threatening my brother. I can't tell him anything without putting him in danger. He would selflessly dive in head first and stop me.

"Sorry, I guess just being stuck in this room has given me some anxiety..." You rubbed the back of your neck. You weren't good at lying, especially to those close to you. But you seemed to bluff your way through it as Takashi stopped pressing the issue.

"Well let me take you out for ramen tonight then, I can convince them to let you out temporarily."

I wish.

"I can't. I uh... Have plans." Your voice was mumbled and strained.

"Is that so...." Takashi stood and turned towards the door. "Alright, I've gotta go back to work now. I'll come see you tomorrow."

"W-Wait!" You called out to him before he could exit. He turned back, noticing that you had pulled yourself to the edge of the bed with your arms stretched out.

"Ah, how could I forget." He walked back and wrapped his arms around you. All you wanted to do was sit there and tell him everything that had happened. You bit your lip as your throat tightened, holding back the choked sobs that you had been struggling to contain all day.

I need to do this. I need to be strong. I need to protect him this time.

You let go of him, peering up and giving him the best smile you could muster.

"See you later Takashi."

- - -

It was late now. You stood and pulled your hero suit off the nightstand. It was still damaged from the Molten incident but you didn't have anything else to wear unless you wanted to go in your hospital gown. Glancing down at it, you couldn't help the flashbacks of the night you and Katuski had designed it from running through your mind. You gripped the material tightly, body quivering at the happy memory.

Am I doing the right thing? Is this heroic? Why does the line between right and wrong have to be so blurry? I've resolved to do this out of love for Takashi. But... 

I'm scared.

You pulled your costume against you and sunk to the ground.

In the end, I was naive to think I could ever become a hero...

You eventually managed to pull your costume on, glancing in the mirror to look at yourself. The room was lit only by the moonlight and city life, but it was enough. There was a hole from where the girder had impaled you along with dark, burned patches from the flames. Your face was drained of its usually vibrancy, lips chapped, eyes dull; you still felt so weak. Even though Recovery Girl had given you another treatment it was apparent that you were still in no condition to leave.

But what choice did you have?

You peered back at the bedside clock.

8:40pm. I should go...

Your stomach twisted at the thought of what you were about to jump into. Your phone lit up. Eyes darting over to it, you walked over and picked it up.

To: (Y/n)
From: King of Explodo-Kills 8:40 pm
Best Jeanist was so pissed at me for leaving. I fucking mean it when I say don't get into any more trouble, got it (y/n)? I ain't haulin' ass over there to see you again.

What impeccable timing he has. That's just like you, Katsuki...

I miss him.

I want to see him.

You smiled grimly, your fingers seemingly moving on their own.

To: King of Explodo-Kills
From: (Y/n) 8:41 pm
Don't forget I love you.

Turning your phone off, you shoved it into one of the larger pockets attached to the back of your belt along with your DS. You couldn't stand to wait for a response. You pulled your mask over your chin and mouth before grabbing the folded note left by Shigaraki from off the table.

Opening the window you leaped over the edge, using one of your tungsten pellets to generate a small blast before hitting the ground. As you landed, you reopened the note to read it before taking off towards the indicated location.

- - -

Upon arriving, you peered around and pulled out your phone.

8:58 pm. No one yet huh?

You leaned up against the alleyway wall, facing the street and waited. It was a peaceful street with simply a general store and a few other small shops. There weren't very many people out. The breeze was light and warm, aiding in calming your racing thoughts.

What do they want from me anyways? I'm not exceptionally strong or compliant that's for damn sure. There has to be a reason why it was me.

But... why?

"(Y/n)." A stern voice called out to you from behind. You turned, eyes lying upon a mysterious man dressed in dark clothing. His arms and chest were covered in dark purple burns, extending up to his jawline to be met by a series of stitches. "Follow me."

You said nothing and followed after him deeper into the alleyway.