Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Shannon's P.O.V:

I practically ran across campus, trying to put some distance between me and my thoughts. I was still a little hurt but now I was mainly angry.  

So yeah, I'd clearly said the wrong thing, but I hadn't done it on purpose. There was no need for him to have acted the way he had.

I was muttering under my breath as I burst in the classroom door. I was early and no one else was there.  

I dropped down onto a chair at the back of the class, not in the mood for sitting up front, and dumped my bag, loudly, on the floor beside me. I lay my head down on the desk in front of me.  

After a couple of minutes, I heard the door open quietly behind me, and footsteps walking up the centre aisle.  

I didn't have the energy to raise my head so I stayed where I was and listened as the chair beside me scraped back and someone sat down. I heard the thump of a bag being dropped on the floor, and then silence.  

Eventually the person spoke, "Hello?"

I slowly raised my head and looked into a pair of concerned brown eyes. The girl was quite pretty, but a little plain with brown hair and brown eyes. I could tell though, from the sparkle in her eyes that her personality would more than make up for any plainness in her features.  

"Hi" I said slowly.  

She stuck out her hand for me to shake and smiled at me. When she smiled, her whole face lit up and it seemed to change her completely, she wasn't pretty when she smiled, she was gorgeous.  

"Phew, I thought you might be dead or something, I'm Natalie." She grinned at me expectantly. I shook her hand. "Shannon" I replied half-heartedly.

Her brows furrowed, "Are you ok? I mean if you don't want me to sit here..." she trailed off nervously.  

I couldn't help but smile. "No, no it's alright, I'm glad you sat here, I just had a little argument with my roommate and it's sort of put me in a bad mood" I internally snorted when I said 'a little argument' there was nothing little about it. I was pretty sure he hated me now, even if I didn't exactly know what I'd done to deserve it.  

"Earth to Shannon!"

I blinked, "I'm sorry, what were you saying?"

Natalie giggled, "You just went off into dreamland. I've been calling your name for the past two minutes." She giggled again, "I think we're going to get along fine."

I smiled back at her before glancing around the room, when had everyone else arrived? I really must have been off in dreamland. I frowned, that can't be good I thought.  

I heard a small, stifled giggle from beside me and felt a nudge in my ribs. "You're doing it again" she whispered to me.  

I just smiled before turning my attention to what the teacher was saying.  

"Okay, now class, I want you to paint an abstract piece to represent what you're feeling right now, at this moment. I'll come around to inspect each of your pieces as you work. This exercise will help me get to know you better, and will give me an idea of your skills as a painter."  

I sighed, on any other day I'd have loved an assignment like this, not so much today though.  

"So, what are you going to do?" Natalie questioned as we took out our supplies.  

"I don't know" I said surveying my paints, "Something preferably involving a lot of black though. What about you?"  

"I think I might do something in yellow, I'm in a very good mood at the moment" she said brightly.