Chapter Twelve

“This checklist, I’m going to do one too. I do a new one for every person I work with like this, Kaidan, because my limits change from person to person. While I will respect the things you say no to, I will push your boundaries. I’m telling you that now so you can’t shout at me later,” Jay said, looking me in the eyes. I couldn’t look away, entranced by his eyes and words. I nodded silently.

After a few moments the waitress came back and Jay ordered for himself. Hiding behind the menu, I looked over it, not having a clue what most of it was. I peeked over it at him, begging for help silently. He grinned and looked over the menu again, choosing something else for me.

“And can we have a bottle of the Castle Margaux, the 1995 please,” he asked her, smiling sweetly. She nodded and left quickly. I must have looked confused. “Wine. One of my favourite brands and years.”

“Oh.” He must have thought I was a complete idiot...

“What’s wrong?” he asked, an almost sharp tone to his voice.

I looked up quickly. “Nothing.”

He raised an eyebrow challengingly. “What’s wrong?” he asked again.

I sat quietly for a few moments before answering him. “You must think I’m a complete idiot...”

He blinked in surprise, staring at me. “Kaidan. Do you seriously believe I think that?” I nodded hesitantly. “Why? Because you didn’t know a specific type of wine that only connoisseurs know?”

“And I’m a virgin, at twenty-five years old... And I blush at the tiniest thing...” I trailed off, continuing the list in my head.

“We need to work on your self-esteem,” he sighed, rubbing his face with his hands before crossing his arms and sitting back in his chair. “Being a virgin and a novice is nothing to be ashamed of. In my opinion, it’s admirable. Someone who can go so long without wanting to find a random stranger and just fuck them is an amazing person.” I blushed at his word choice. “And as for the blushing... Well, I think it makes you cuter than you already are.” He shrugged nonchalantly.

I felt a little more at ease.

“I meant what I said earlier. People like us can’t afford to judge others. Besides, it’s not in my nature. Why do you think Rob picks me to help people like you?”

Relaxing slightly, I nodded, taking a deep breath. “I’m sorry, I just...”

He smiled slightly and uncrossed his arms, sitting forward again.

“It’s okay, Kaidan, don’t worry. We clearly do need to work on your self-esteem. It’s vital for life, let alone camera work.”

I nodded again, looking up at him. “What else did you need to talk about tonight?”

Jay smirked slightly, making my belly flutter a little, wondering what he was planning.

“Nothing,” he replied simply.

“Then... Why bring me out for dinner?” I frowned in confusion.

His lips turned up into a genuine smile now. “I wanted to spend time with you. I find you very interesting, Kaidan, I won’t hide it. You intrigue me. Plus, I like to get to know the people I work with.”

I blushed yet again and nodded almost shyly. After a few minutes of a weird silence, the waitress came back with the food and a second waiter behind her with the wine and two glasses. The girl placed the plates on the table without a fuss, but the guy was making a show out of pouring a little wine into one glass and handing it to Jay to try.

Jay simply rolled his eyes.

“Stephen, just pour the wine. I know it’s wonderful. We have business to discuss,” he told the man, a friendly smile on his face.

“Sorry, sir, habit,” Stephen chuckled, quickly pouring the two glasses and placing the bottle on the table before leaving.

I looked down at my large plate and my stomach growled loudly. I hadn’t seen this much food since... A long time at least. I picked up the knife and fork and dug into the steak.

“How do you know everyone’s names? Do you come here often?” I asked before putting a bit of steak in my mouth.

“I own this restaurant,” he replied simply.

I choked on the steak.

(A/N This chapter is dedicated to Shadewolf19 because she has awesome hair XD ~MacBeka)