Trial And Patience

Patience. They say it's a virtue. If you're a child and you are impatient then you're an inconsiderate little brat who needs to shape up, at least that's what they make you think. Of course, there's an exception to everything. Then there's trial. The time you get to see if something is worth putting eve more time into. When these two things mix, a very dangerous product is made. You have to have patience to see if it will be in your favor but in the meantime, you have to try many different approaches so when the time does come you'll be prepared.

              I tap my navy blue flat against the ground impatiently. The reassurances of everyone else only lowering my hopes because that meant that they were nervous as well. 

               "Case 2579," a woman whose voice sounded bored and annoyed called. I stood and smoothed my dress down. I walked among the adults who were here today to support my parents and I. I'm not a level headed adult who sees the problem and can take control. I get scared and consider giving up because that would be the easiest thing to do. Though, I am more mature then a lot of people my age so I'm not going to give up. 

                   After the judge enters the trial begins. 

          "When Townes left me I was heart broken. I wanted nothing more than to chase her down but how could I have known where she went? When I found that Amity was being adopted and that I could help her I was going to sign those papers, I really was! But when I saw her I knew that I couldn't," He said in response as to how he got in this position.

           "When I saw Amity, I knew she was meant to be ours. I know that we don't share blood but I've loved her since day 1.  When she became my life, I realized that a person can make you put everything else in your life secondary to them. Ask anyone, I'm not someone with a lot of hope for the future but she gives me that hope. I love Derek with my whole heart, but I love my daughter more than I have ever doubted anything. And I have had a lot of doubt, but never about her, not once," Mom said. People went up and said more and more things.

            Lexie went up first to be questioned by Drew's lawyer.

        "So you've been living at the residence of Meredith and Derek?"

       "Yes,"

        "So, how does Amity get to school every morning?"

        "She doesn't, she has online school,"

        "So, she doesn't interact with other kids her age?"

         "Actually, after she finishes her classes she spends a lot of time volunteering in the pediatric ward,"

        The lawyer keeps trying to make them seem like unfit parents, failing miserably. Eventually they call me up to the stand.

       "So, Amity. Who do you want to live with?" 

        "I Meredith and Derek Shepherd. My mom and dad,"

        "Why is that?"

          "Because, you can share some DNA with someone but that doesn't mean you love them."

         "In a report from right before you met the Shepherds says you would like nothing more than to live with your blood family again, what's changed?"

            "The situation. I had never felt what it was like to be held after having a bad dream and to be treated like more than just another kid in the system.  I thought normal was something to strive for, but it's not. I'm hoping to become a surgeon by age 20 and to finish high school by this Christmas! It's not normal that's got me to where I am, it's family. It's the love and support of the people who I've been around for the last 4 months! I love them more than anything. Drew seems like a great person, but he's not my dad. I'm Amity Elizabeth Grey-Shepherd, not Wills. And I never want to be anyone else," 

            "Ok, you may go sit down." The judge says. We take a break while the judge makes a final decision. 

'''''~~~~~~~

           I see Cady and a lump forms in my throat. I hadn't expected to see her today. I stood skeptically. Step by step I took on another fear that had been sitting in the back of my mind.

        "Cady,"

        "Amity! H-"

          "Why did you lie? He's alive, more oviously now than ever,"

       "H-he didn't want to take you when you were little. And he did get in a car wreck before you were born. He was a drunk driver and he almost killed a little girl. It was a month or so before you were born. I just coudn't break your little heart. I'm sorry," 

    I just looked at her for a second. My mom left him because he had been drunk driving. She wasn't just being selfish, she was looking out for the both of us. If he was hiding this what else could he be hiding? Suddenly i found my legs pounding against the ground and bursting through the doors to the courtroom. 

            "Young lady-"

          "Check his criminal record, there has to be something there," The judge just nodded as dad came in and brought me back out with him.

        Lexie had said that she loved me and I was more than just a niece to her, I was someone she could admire. Christina thought of me as more than just a nuisance, she admired my knowledge and passion. Arizona said that I had more potential than anyone she had seen in a long time, even within herself. The list goes on and on, but it gave me all the confidence in the world that I could be an incredible surgeon someday. 

       "The judge has made a decision," We enter with patience running low and fears high.

WARNING- THE NEXT PARAGRAPH HAS A TRIGGER WARNING. JUST SKIP IF YOU NEED TO-      

          "We had made a decision, then with further investigation we found that Drew Wills was charged with under age drinking and a DUI at age 19, and since then had been questioned for the murder of 3 women before a building collapse including the murder of Townes Austin. He has recently been charged with child molestation and child pornography. This was an error on our part and we deeply apologize. Custody of Amity Wills is therefore granted to Meredith and Derek Shepherd," 

       My heart was jumping but at the same time my mind was breaking down at the news of my biological father. They didn't waste time getting me out of there and going home for a party. But first we set an appointment to change my name officially to Amity Grey-Shepherd. 

          Sometimes patience pays off. In the field a patient's problem might resolve by itself by some miracle and trials will end up being wasted on nothing. Me staying those two nights with Drew were not only dangerous, but also a trial run. A failed trial but my patience when it came to finding my forever family was 100% worth it. I couldn't be any luckier.