XIII

A/N Hello!
I hope you enjoy, I have to start work at 8am (Insert internal screaming) So leave me comments to brighten my morning up if you wanna!

*UNEDITED*
(I'll get there one day)

EDIT: For some reason wattpad glitched and posted the same body of text twice in the chapter... sorry to those whom it affected - should be okay now tho!

*****
I loved someone once
in a way that should 
have lasted a lifetime.

- Salma El-Wardany 

*****

Brinley couldn't take her eyes off of Octavia. 

She'd seen something in the younger girls eyes as she'd stared up at her brother, something that hadn't been there before. Octavia was hurting, that much was obvious, but there was an almost desperate look in her haunted eyes that had Brinley more worried than before.

Octavia was going to snap, that much she was sure of.

It didn't take long, a few hours maybe. After Marcus had followed after the grounders, Brinley had suggested the group head back towards the cave they'd inhabited, and when she was met with no complaints, they went on their way immediately.

Miller, Harper, Bryan and Sinclair had launched questions at them the moment they appeared, and Brinley had been only too happy to explain what had went down, putting as much space between herself and Bellamy as she could. Finally, after she'd caught the others up, she'd just posed the question as to what they'd do next when a familiar, frantic sounding voice had come through the radio, muttering about Jaha, Clarke, Raven and chips at a rapid pace.

Brinley massaged her temples. What Jasper had been rapidly reporting through the radio sounded completely insane, and Brinley silently hoped that Jasper had got his hands on some of the herbs that had got he and Monty shipped off to the skybox in the first place.

Because the alternative was too frightening to consider.

Brinley must have unintentionally drifted to sleep, because the next thing she knew, she awoke with a small gasp, a feeling of panic enveloping her and ebbing away in the next second as she realised she'd been dreaming. She couldn't remember what her mind had conjured up, but whatever it was, it had scared her more than a little.

Brinley blinked, realising that someone was crouched down in front of her, their fingers barely touching the arm of her jacket as though worried about her reaction.

'Still having nightmares?'

Bellamy's voice was low, his dark eyes showing nothing but curiosity and concern, but still Brinley couldn't bring herself to trust him. Instead, she pulled her arm out of his reach, her eyes drifting to the space behind him.

'Leave me alone, Bellamy.'

Bellamy's brows furrowed, but before he could speak, there was movement behind him as Octavia hurried towards her bag, seemingly out of nowhere.

'O, wait, you can't just leave-' Bellamy immediately hurried towards his sister, his damaged face glowing in the firelight.

'Watch me.' Octavia sounded unconcerned

'You heard what Jasper said on the radio, Arkadia is not safe.'

'What Jasper said, sounds insane.' Octavia continued packing. 'Pike's gone, I can handle myself.' She paused, her eyes briefly going to Brinley who'd moved closer to stand behind Bellamy. 'Grounders burn their dead.'