9

Amelia

When I turn my head to the right, Alex is awake already, looking up at the ceiling and deep in thought.

We stayed up late talking last night, Alex telling me about his Dad, until he eventually fell asleep in my bed.

"Penny for your thoughts."

It's then he notices i'm awake and his face lights up. "I'm just worried about Ray and Val."

"Explain it to them and it'll be okay." I lean on one elbow and use my other hand to stroke through his hair that is lying on his forehead.

"Even if they believe that I couldn't stop it, they're still gonna be torn now that they know the real reason he's locked up."

"Well it's a good thing they have you to help them."

He leans up and kisses me, but when the kiss is over his face screws up and he drops his head back onto the pillow. "Santiago's been taking so many pain killers that he's become addicted. How could I let that happen?"

"You're not his parent."

"Might as well be," he mumbles. "Our Mom wouldn't notice if he had drug addict written across his forehead all day."

"Then tell her. You have enough to deal with already."

He watches me, as if considering it, then smiles. "How do you always know what to say?"

"Because I'm awesome." I give him a duh look and he just rolls his eyes.

+++

Yasmin and I go shopping for a couple of hours, and it's only on the drive home that she brings up Alex.

"So was I right or was I right?"

"About what?"

"Alex being into you!" She hesitates. "Literally."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I deadpan.

"Oh come on, we all know you had sex Friday night. And Val was very descriptive when he told me about what he heard."

"He heard?"

"Yep. And just so you know, just 'cause you don't make any vocal sounds, don't mean the house ain't shaking. You learn that living with three boys that are sex obsessed."

"Who's the three?"

"Val, Max and Alex."

"Oh." There is a small twinge of regret inside of me when she says Alex's name. What if he was just using me? What if all he wants is to be friends with benefits? He kissed me after that night, and we've been hanging out a lot. Does that mean he likes me? Or does he not want to hurt me?

"Do you mind going to Enrico's apartment? Val just asked if we could pick up drinks for the party tonight," she says, looking at her phone.

"Sure thing. Just give me directions."

Yasmin bangs on Enrico's apartment door after we climb up five flights of stairs. A pretty girl opens the door.