Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

      “And then, Adam decided that he would try to be cool, and literally push me into the pool!” I said, recalling one the more amusing stories I have in my memory of my dear brother and I.

      “So, he pushed you into the pool?” Chase asked, placing his arm over the back of the leather couch that we were sitting on.

      “Yeah, but I grabbed onto his hand, and he ended up coming right down with me!” I said, laughing at my brother’s stupidity. Yeah, I’m not one to be messed with.

      “Ha! Once, Talia and I were playing outside and she thought it would be funny to tell me that footballs were made out of unicorn intestines.” I let out a laugh at how bizarre that sounded. Well, I suppose unicorns do have intestines, it’s just strange. He smiled at me, and continued, “Yeah, I didn’t play football for an entire month. My parents were pissed at her.”

      “When’d you start playing?” I asked out of curiosity.

      “Since I was born,” he replied, as a sense of pride spread throughout his face.

      “And why football?”

      “My dad actually used to be a quarterback in college, and made it into the NFL for a few years-”

      “Wait, really?! Your dad was in the NFL?” I said in disbelief. I had met Chase’s dad, and sure he had a broad, muscular build, but I would never have imagined him in a million years playing football for the NFL. That’s pretty epic!

      “Yeah,” he said, cracking his neck to produce an unpleasing sound that I coudn’t stand. “When he had us, he didn’t care if we were smart, or had any useful talents; as long as we were good at football, he was happy.”

      “How many concussions have you gotten over the years?”

      “Too many to count,” he answered, smirking.

      I nodded, tapping my finger on my knee instinctively, before asking another question that appeared in my mind, “So, how many siblings do you have besides Talia?”

      He opened his mouth, about to respond, when the shrill sound of, “CHASE! JULES!” was heard echoing down the hall. He locked eyes with me, and we shared a puzzled look.

      “What?” he called back.

      “Get your asses off the couch, we have to go to the hospital! Now!” Talia yelled, emerging into the room.

      “Is everyone okay?” Chase questioned, his words drenched in concern.

      “Michael’s having a baby!” she cried, as I scrunched my face, her words sounding odd to me.

      “Oh shit! Is Gloria okay?” Chase asked, jumping up from the couch, as I sat there, perplexed.

      “Why the hell do you think we’re going to the hospital? We’re going to check on her, idiot!” Talia said frantically. “Come on!”

      I hopped up off of the comfortable piece of furniture, and followed the two siblings out of the room. “Who’s Michael and who’s Gloria?” I asked, as we sprinted through the empty house.

      “We’ll explain in the car, but right now, the most important thing is getting to the hospital quickly!” Talia said a few feet in front of us. We ran to the front door, and zipped through it, as Talia stayed behind to set the alarm.

      Darting over the freshly cut grass, we went all the way over to Talia’s sloppily parked car. From a distance, she pressed a button on her keys, and unlocked the car for us. We climbed into the car that looked close to brand new, and waited for the driver to join us. After about twelve seconds of waiting, Talia came into the front seat, and slammed the door behind her. Shoving the key aggressively into the ignition, she started up the car, and sped out of the driveway. Her driving was bordering on falling into Adam’s category… on a good day.