Chapter Fifteen | Love Life

A few minutes later, the door reopened and Sebastian walked in.
    "Sebastian," Darrel smiled, as she attempted to get out of bed, but he held up a hand to stop her.
    "Please, stay where you are," Sebastian nodded, going to sit on the side of her bed.
    "What are you doing here? I thought you went back to Spain."
    "I did, but then I decided to return to England, to see how you were coping."
    "So very sweet of you."
    "What happened to you? While I was waiting downstairs, Lord Grantham told me you were ill."
    "Long story, don't ask."
   "Yes, your highness."   
   Darrel laughed.
    "How long are you here for?" Darrel inquired.
    "At least a week," Sebastian shrugged.
    "Oh, you must stay here."
    "I'm not sure..."
   "Please. It'll be fun, and distracting from my life."
    "As you wish, your highness."
    Both of them started laughing.

    A couple days later, Isobel had taken Darrel off bed rest so she insisted on going for a walk, with Sebastian as her escort. They were heading into the village, with the young princess hanging onto Sebastian's arm.
    "I wish we didn't live so far away from each other," Sebastian sighed.
    "Same," Darrel nodded.
    "You should come to Spain at some point. I'm sure my brother would like to see you again."   
    "We'll see. With all that's happening, I doubt I'll be able to leave England."   

    Back at the abbey, Cora and Robert were in the library.
    "What's wrong?" Robert sighed, noticing the unhappy look on his wife's face.
    "I don't want Sebastian taking advantage of her," Cora replied.
    "What are you talking about?"
    "She's confused, with everything that's happening. I don't want him using this as an opportunity to..."
    Robert rolled his eyes.
    "That's your reaction?" Cora gasped, "This is serious."
    "Cora, we've met Sebastian before. He's an honourable man, and does cares about Darrel. Besides, I dare say she's had her eyes on him for a while," Robert nodded.
    "I'm just worried."
    "Cora, she'll be fine."
    "I hope so."   

    Meanwhile, Sebastian and Darrel had run into Paul, who was out on a walking with Felicity. They had met before once when Sebastian visited Downton a few years ago.
    "Your highnesses," Felicity curtsied.
    "Miss Felicity, Master Paul," Sebastian nodded.
    "Sebastian," Paul said, quite bitterly.
    "What brings you to England?" Felicity inquired.
    "Checking in on Darrel," Sebastian shrugged, "making sure everything's alright."
    Paul snorted.
    "Something to add?" Sebastian asked sharply.
    "Not at all," Paul replied.
    "Good. I might not be your prince, but I am still the Prince of Spain. You will therefore treat me with a certain amount of respect."   
    "I'll treat you with the same amount of respect I accord to horse dung."
    "Paul!" Both girls cried.
    Paul shrugged in reply.
    "Paul, I need a word with you," Darrel informed, then turned to Sebastian, "I won't be long."
    Darrel took Paul by the arm and dragged him a few feet away from the others, so they wouldn't be overheard.
    "Paul, what is your problem?" Darrel demanded.
    "My problem is him," Paul said simply.
    "Why? What has he ever done to you?"
    "Have you read the foreign newspapers? He has a new girlfriend every month."
    "It's all gossip Paul."
    "He's a player," he accused.
    "What's your point?" Darrel sighed.
    "You're vulnerable Darrel, with everything that's happening. He'll try to manipulate you, and hurt you. You're my friend, I don't want to see you hurt."
    "Paul, that's so sweet of you to care about me. But don't worry. Sebastian is a gentleman. Besides, we're just friends."
    "Well, he doesn't see you that way."
    "Okay, you know what Paul? Stay out of it."
    Darrel walked back to the others and slipped her hand through Sebastian's arm.
    "We can go back now," Darrel informed.
    "Alright," Sebastian nodded.
    "Goodbye Felicity."
    "Your highnesses," she curtsied.
    The two monarchs walked off as Paul came up to her.
    "What happened?" Felicity demanded.
    "Sebastian's up to something," Paul declared, "I can sense it. I won't rest until I figure out what it is."
    Felicity groaned.
    The other two walked in silence for a few minutes then Sebastian broke it.
    "So, what's Paul's deal?" Sebastian inquired.
    "Don't worry about it," Darrel replied.
    "But..."
    "Seriously Sebastian, it's not worth a second thought."
    "Alright."
Darrel gave him a shy smile and they kept walking.