10

Alex

I lift my head off of the pillow on Amelia's bed, my head pounding. She's still sleeping there in the clothes from last night with the covers over her. She looks so peaceful, yet she's not. Because when she wakes up she will come across the news that she was drugged, and in the worst possible way.

Even after our argument last night, when she basically told me to do my own thing and she will too, I had to stay with her. I couldn't let her out of my sight. Whoever did this might have came looking for her, hoping to finish the job. The thought makes me shiver.

Deciding to get her water for when she wakes up, I go downstairs and find Val passed out on the couch with cocaine scattered beside him. I could be sick.

"Get up, Val," I say while trying to lift him from the couch. He moans like a baby but eventually stands on his own two feet, putting most of his weight on me and I practically carry him upstairs. Santiago is awake for once when I put Val down onto his bed.

"How's Amelia?"

"Still out."

"You think she'll be able to walk again when she wakes up?"

"If she sleeps long enough." I hope she does. I don't want her to wake up and still not be able to move. She'd be terrified.

When I go down to the kitchen, Amelia's Mom and Dad are there, drinking coffee. I gulp.

"Seems like you guys had fun last night," Dylan says.

"Not so much." I pour a glass of water and drink it, the feeling sensational to my dehydrated body.

"Did Amelia get drunk?"

"Not exactly." I sigh, closing my eyes. I need to tell them. "Her drink was spiked."

Kate sets down her coffee mug and they both stare at me. "With what?"

I was hoping she wouldn't ask that. "A date rape drug."

Kate's hand covers her mouth, her eyes averting to the floor. "Are you telling me that someone tried to rape my daughter?"

"I wouldn't have let that happen. I didn't leave her alone all night."

"What kind of people are you letting into your home?"

I look down. This was partly our fault. "It won't happen again."

"Damn right it won't, because Amelia wont be anywhere near your next party."

"Kate," Dylan says. "Don't take it out on Alex. At least he stayed with her."

She gives her husband an angry look for not taking her side. "I'm going to see her." She gets up and walks out, Dylan sighs and follows her.

After i've showered and put on clean clothes, I go back into Amelia's room to find her awake, sitting up. At least she can move.

"What the hell happened?"

After I tell her about the rape date drug, she buries her face in her hands. I hear a sob and I don't even need to think about it before i'm by her side, wrapping my arms around her.

"You scared the shit out of me when I saw you."

She leans her head on my chest. "Sorry."

I laugh and put my hand on her head as she cries more with her head resting against my chest. It was such a horrible thing that happened to her, and it wouldn't have happened if we didn't have that stupid party. "You're okay." I run my hand along her soft hair. "You're okay," I repeat, more to myself that time.