Chapter 8

Vivian could here Marcus talking with Allen in his study. "What happened to Lilly?"

Marcus rubbed the back of his neck, "Well.. After you left for Italy, we had to rush her to the hospital that night due to an uncontrollable fever. We discovered she had a rare heart defect from birth. The respiratory infection took over body and her heart was not strong enough to fight it like a normal child. We actually had to put her in a temporary coma to draw fluid away from her heart and lungs. Her heart has been weak ever sense."

Allen was in shock, "Why didn't you tell me?"

Marcus angrily shook his head, "You were young and had already been punished, I wasn't going to let this world destroy your outlook in Italy. If  I had what do you think you would had done?" Allen didn't answer.

Vivian eased into the room and hugged Allen, "We know you didn't mean for it to go this far. Your still my sweet boy. Lilly forgave you, now you have to forgive yourself."

Allen felt like crying, "I know mother. Is she alright now."

Vivian pulled away and smiled, "Yes she is sleeping."

The trio then turned their attention to an angry Clara as she entered the room. "Allen! What is the meaning of kicking out my guest?"

Allen scoffed, "Clara, I question your judgment of character. Those so called friends of yours are trash."

Clara's mouth dropped open, "And you beat a man near to death and call yourself a gentleman. Mark did not deserve what you did to him."

Allen chuckled, "I think it's time for you to go back to Italy. I'll be back in three weeks."

Clara had tears forming in her eyes, "Are you breaking our engagement?"

Allen's expression softened, "No, but there needs to be a lot of changes." Clara looked down as she stormed out of the study.

Vivian eased up to her sons ear, "She's too concerned with Mark. He is her lover. Go home a day early and see if I don't know what I'm talking about."
Allen gave his mother a questionable look, but nodded.

The next morning, Lilly stretched as she sat up in her bed

The next morning, Lilly stretched as she sat up in her bed. She then had a sheer look of terror as she remembered last night, "Oh no! My life is over." she thought.

"Lilly! Are you awake dear?" Marcus was knocking at her door.

As he walked into her room, she threw the covers over her head. "Go away!"

Marcus eased down on the side of the bed, "Lilly, get up dear and face the day. If someone mentions last night just put them in their place. Just like your mother." He could tell her eyes were squinting from her smile as she eased the covers down to her nose. She leaned up and hugged her father, "There's my girl.  I'm so glad your ok."

"I love you too Papa."

Marcus eased off the bed, "I'll see you at breakfast."

Lilly nodded, "Yes sir."