Chapter 12

The next morning dawned sunny and brilliant. Outside the wide-open windows, flowers bloomed as far as the eye could see. Petals floated from downy trees, pale pink and blushing in the morning sun. The grass waved back and forth in a calm breeze. Everything was green and fruitful — new. Caught in a dreamy stupor, I smiled at the memories of last night.

Pulling the covers up under my chin, I snuggled down into the bed. It was stifling as Alex's body heat mingled with my own, yet it was comforting in its warmth. He dozed peacefully beside me. I laughed at his sleep-slack face, squished against the pillow.

Briefly, I worried I would have to invent a lie. An excuse to cover up what we had done. But I was quite certain that aside from Robert, no one had seen us leave. Given the raging celebration, it was unlikely anyone had thought about me at all. So, instead of fear and shame, I only felt contentment. With a smile, I slipped from the bed. The sunlight and inviting beauty of the morning was too tempting for me, I felt compelled outside.

I dressed quickly, marveling at the fresh gown and underclothes folded up on the couch. Alex had a similar stack of clean clothes and our discarded garments had been picked up and taken from the room. A faint blush warmed my cheeks as I realized a servant had seen us together in the bed, but I found I did not mind. Let them talk. Who cares? They had likely seen my brothers in equally compromising positions, and that had never been an issue.

Outside, I wandered toward a stone outcropping and sat there, looking out across the sloping valleys stretched out on either side of the castle. The savage, light-speckled ocean was a mere suggestion on the horizon. Despite its distance, I could smell the salt in the air and taste the brine on my lips. Opening my arms wide, as if to catch the wind, I felt complete. At home at last; in myself, my castle, and my family.

Movement caught the corner of my eye. A man on horseback, racing toward me at a full gallop. He diverted from the well-worn path that led to the castle and came at me with thundering speed. Barely reigning in his horse before colliding into the boulder on which I sat, he threw a letter at me. Without a second glance, he turned his mount and shouted over his shoulder, "To be given to the Laird MacLeod without delay!"

He went as swiftly as he arrived.

I picked up the letter. The paper was rich and lush against my fingertips. A deep purple seal with a rearing stag — a Mainland sigil — secured its contents. Turning it over a few times in my hand, I stood and made my way back inside.

I found Father in his study, pinching his nose between two fingers and wincing. A crystal tumbler idled in his other hand, half full with an amber liquor.

"Hair of the Dog?" I asked by way of greeting, sticking my head into the room.

Father grumbled and looked up, "Come in, Eilean. Don't haunt doorways."

I walked toward him, tossing the envelope onto his desk. "A messenger just brought this." Stepping away, I approached the fire and let its heat seep into my legs. Too late, I realized I was too far away to read the mysterious letter over his shoulder.

Father opened the envelope and read it once, twice, three times. I watched as his face shifted from its hangover pallor to a near-demented brightness. He grinned maniacally. His eyes shone magnificently.

"Ha! ha!" He exclaimed, clenching the paper in his hands, crushing it. He dropped the letter and stormed out of the room without a word or a glance in my direction.

Fast as a shot, I picked up the discarded letter. In very plain and terse language, a Lord from the Mainland explained that he had secured the funds and vital alliances amongst a handful of Mainland families. If my father wanted conquest, the time was now. He urged my father to bring every man he could spare, commanding him to be ready to sail within a week.