55 - Travel

The Prince had said the fastest route to Wu Xi is by going through the cities and provinces. But because of all the wagons we have with us, it was safer to travel outskirts of cities. We were forced to take the longer route, but I hadn't mind. Traveling outside the cities has it's advantageous. For me, I wanted to see the mountains, the sea, and the valley.

For three days we traveled through the thick terrain of the forest. We rarely stopped for breaks. Even when it's time for the mid-day meal, the maids would prepare food for me to eat inside the carriage. I had wondered how the Prince and everyone was eating - or if they're eating at all. Do men not eat when they travel?

Only when night falls that the carriage would stop. I was always told to wait inside until the camp is ready. When the carriage door finally open, the Prince is there with his hand held out to me. Every night, I would see several tents and bon fires set up. Everyone gathered in groups to talk or have their night meals.

The largest tent belonged to the Prince. Inside, a bed of animal skin and fur was prepared in the center. Each corner of the tent held a small candle lamp to lit the space.

"I'll be right back"

Every night before the Prince sleeps, he would check the camp site and give directions to the guards on patrol. I always try to wait for the Prince to return, but the softness and warmth of the fur lured me to rest.

"Ruyi"

The Prince's deep voice woke me.

"Are you hungry?"

I shook my head. The maids had made sure to feed me throughout the day.

"You're tired from the long day"

As soon as the Prince laid down beside me, he pulled me into his arms. I laid my head on his shoulder while he pressed a soft kiss on my forehead.

"Go back to sleep"

The warmth of his embrace had me fall back asleep easily.