.prologue.

atlanta, ga
11 years later

7:33 p.m.

To compete at the Junior Olympics was one thing, but to be running in the 100m, 400m, 4x100m, and 4x400m at the Olympics was another. This was the biggest stage of them all and Nia was only sixteen.

      But, she'd held records for the 100m and 400m on the Junior level. The USA staff just decided to bring her along on the team. This time, she'd be competing against the best of the best and she was up for the challenge.

     This year, USA was hosting the Olympics so it was comforting for her to run in front of the home crowd. But, that also meant a lot of pressure.

Not only was she running the relays, she was anchoring them.

       She and Naomi were exchanging texts, and Nia was glad to have her there. Naomi kept her sane through it all. That was her mom and best friend.

While in the tunnel, Nia put her phone in her backpack and placed the bag in the plastic tote. She removed her USA track jacket and warmups, putting them inside the tote also.

         The runners walked out onto the track, and Nia tucked her necklace under her uniform. She looked around the huge and filled stadium. Nia was about to start her Olympics off with the 100m final.

Her biggest competition was Jamaica, who held reign as World and Olympian champion.

    For the United States, it's 16 year old Nia Cartier. This is something to witness because she blew her heat out of the water. She also holds the fastest time in the world. If anybody upsets Jamaica, it would be the American from California.

Nia Cartier out of LA is representing the Americans. No one knows this young lady, but I think the world will after this race.

      This is a good moment for the sixteen year old, but I think the moment will be too big for her. She's going against elite competition, and against the fastest woman in the world. I still believe Jamaica wins.

Think about this, Nia Cartier is starting her junior year in high school in two weeks. And she is here at the Olympics participating in one of the biggest races in sports history. She currently holds the fastest time in the Junior World Championships, can she make Olympic history?

       Nia walked to lane 4 to set up her starting blocks. Some of the runners were looking at her weirdly because they didn't know who she was.

She didn't care because after the race they'd know. After setting up the starting blocks, Nia did some stretching and jumping.

        Hitting the back of her thighs, she looked up into the crowd. Somehow, she could hear Naomi and Ashton yelling at the top of their lungs.

It wasn't long before the announcer began to announce the names of the runners. "From Los Angeles, California, Nia Cartier." The crowd roared, mostly because she was an American.

       They really didn't know much about her because this was her first time on the biggest stage. That also made them nervous because they'd learned that she was only sixteen years old.

Beating Jamaica was big for the Americans in this race because it had been so long since it happened.

       So, the crowd was kind of worried that the USA staff hadn't picked a more experienced runner. But, it wasn't up to them. Nia had won her qualifying heat which allowed her to run in the race.

        The runners began to put their feet on the starter blocks and get into their set positions. Nia took a deep breath and put her head down.

While waiting, she said a quick prayer. The noise in the stadium ceased allowing the announcer to began the race.

Set.

   They lifted their bodies up.

Pow.

           The race began, and Nia got off to an amazing start. Nia surrendered herself to the miraculous beat of her feet against the ground. The angry pitter-patter of the soles of her shoes hitting the track.

She lifted her head up, and began catching the Jamaican. The crowd stood to their feet because now Nia was side by side with her. 70-80m in, Nia kicked it into third gear and flew past the Jamaican.

    Seconds later, she was crossing the finish line, pointing at the screen as she crushed the world record. A record that had been held for over 20 years. The stadium was in awe, and excited of course.

Wow! The sixteen year old did it!!

That record has been there for 20 plus years!

Wow what an upset!

Not only is she fastest woman in the world, she is the fastest woman ever!

  Nia screamed in excitement as she slowed down. She immediately ran to her running coach and hugged her tightly. "I knew you could do it!" Her coach exclaimed.

The Americans are off to a brilliant start at these Olympics and good news for them, Nia Cartier is going to run the 400m and both relays.

      The crowd was still stunned by the results as they showed the replay on the screen. Naomi moved everyone out of her way as she made her way to Nia.

       The two embraced each other, along with Ashton. One of the staff members placed the American flag on her back as she pulled away from her parents. Naomi was hyped, showing off her customized shirt with Nia's name on it.

Nia took her victory lap before taking pictures. Bending down by the time clock, she pointed towards her world record time and posed for picture.

          When she was finished, the Jamaican woman came over to congratulate her. "Congratulations. You're special."

     "Thank you." Nia hugged her, and they exchanged a few more words before pulling away. Nia decided to decline interviews until she was finished with her races.

She was done for the night, however. Running back towards the tunnel, she continued to wave at the crowd as they cheered her name.

As she ran through the tunnel, her USA teammates met her and jumped on her. They congratulated her with hugs, smiles, and kisses.  

        She was the youngest on the team and it had been a while since an American woman held the crown as fastest woman in the world. They saw Nia as their little sister and they were excited for her.

      Nia was doing something she always wanted to do. Being the daughter of Naomi wasn't easy, but Nia was doing it with grace. Now, she was making a name for herself.

And it had nothing to do with the corporate world.