↳ 36. IRL & PRIVATE

TOM CAREFULLY HIT HIS knuckles against the mahogany door, his frown deepening at the sound of Rainbow's quiet and muffled sobs coming from the other side

TOM CAREFULLY HIT HIS knuckles against the mahogany door, his frown deepening at the sound of Rainbow's quiet and muffled sobs coming from the other side. "Love?" he asked through the door, his body leaning against it.

"P-Please leave me al-alone, Tom." Rainbow shakily replied, salty streaks of crystalline tears fell down her cheeks as she wrapped her arms around her knees, unable to control the sobs that came out of her mouth.

He started to chew on his inner cheek anxiously, millions of thoughts crossing his mind as her sobs filled his ears. Tom couldn't just walk away and pretend to not hear her cries from down the hall. "I can't do that, Rainbow." he softly pressed his forehead against the door, his own words coming out faint.

She grew quiet for a moment and Tom grew fearful that something happened to her on the other side of the door. "Rainbow?" he stood up straighter, pushing his ear against the door to try to hear for something.

Tom's voice echoed in her mind until his voice was drowned out by familiar laughter and giggles, causing the tears to clog up Rainbow's vision and fall down her cheeks and wet her knees. She was so caught up in her own world, that she didn't even notice Tom kneeling in front of her with the door wide open, seemingly broken.

Tom stayed in front of Rainbow and felt his heart drop into his stomach as he saw the tears falling from her eyes. The trembling cries that escaped her lips, he couldn't bare to see Rainbow sad. He didn't even understand what triggered her to be like this, but all he knew was that she need a friend right now and that he would attempt to be that friend for her.

So Tom sat down next to Rainbow and wrapped his arms around her, leaning his forehead against her hair. She kept mumbling something along the lines of "it's all my fault", sniffling on and on until her quiet cries stopped. Neither one of them spoke. Just sat there in a comfortable silence, tangled with one another. It wasn't until he realized that she was asleep when he heard her soft snores and her warm breath touching his neck with the position they were in.

He tried to stay awake, wanting to be there if she were to wake up in a fenzy. But his eyes grew heavy with every blink he made, his body growing comfortable against hers and then, his eyes slowly shut.

¤ ¤ ¤

Rainbow woke up alone. She wasn't surprised at first. It was something she grew used to after a period of time, but this was Tom. And she expected more from him. Rainbow rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand, grumbling about how she wanted to forget about last night. Rainbow wanted to forget her tears spent. Rainbow wanted to forget the way Tom cradled her in his arms like some sort of baby. Rainbow just wanted to forget.

It was foolish. Bawling her eyes out someone that she wasn't even that close to. Heck, he wasn't even there for her to wake up to. "You idiot." mumbled Rainbow as she covered her eyes with her hands, regretting every single that happened in the past 24 hours.

Her stomach started to grumble and it made her groan. Rainbow was lazy, that was well known, but she was extremely lazy as of now. Then again, she didn't eat dinner last night due to obvious reasons. So with a little time and mumbling out loud about how food would improve her shitty mood, she got up and made her way into the kitchen.

Rainbow was stunned to find her kitchen clean. Last time she used it, her dishes were piled up and she didn't bother to put away the bags of chips and snacks on the counter tops. "Holy fuck," she whispered, staring at her spotless kitchen, turning around to check if anything was out of place.

Then she heard her phone buzz on the counter top and found a plate of pancakes with blueberries, strawberries and nutella held in small cups. With further inspection, she found a blue sticky note next to the plate.

Rainbow reached for her phone, making a mental note to eat after checking her phone. And when she opened it she found 20 missed calls from Ella plus 15 unread messages, 5 unread messages from Michael, 15 missed calls and 10 unread messages from Becca, 34 unread messages from Melina and finally 50 unread messages from Jamie. She decided to discard those and saw her sister's name, skipping through her notifications up to her more recent messages from Tom.

tom 🕸:
hope you like the pancakes!
sorry if they taste bad or if they're burnt.
haven't made them in a long time.

tom 🕸:
please read the sticky note

tom 🕸:
have a lovely day 😊

She stared down at her phone and softly ripped the blue sticky note, only to reveal two, from the side. It read (in somewhat illegible handwriting):

"Hey Rainbow :-),

I know you had a rough night so I attempted to make pancakes from scratch because you didn't have any mix. I also cleaned up your kitchen a bit since it was messy. (please go to the next sticky note, sorry my handwriting is kinda big)

It's a dick move to leave you while you're asleep, but I completely forgot I had work. So think of the pancakes as my little sorry for you.

Please have a wonderful day and don't hesitate to call or text, heck even come over if you need to talk or anything.

Sincerely,
Tom"

Rainbow smiled faintly as she read the notes and put them down. She grabbed her phone and started to type on her keyboard a simple text.

rainbow 🌈:
thank you ♥

And in a matter of seconds, she got a simple reply.

tom 🕸:
anytime 😊❤

☆☆☆

I like making you guys suffer, lol

But hey, it's progressing? Sort of?