Chapter 32

No authors note after this chapter. Just read the acknowledgments!
~~~
I still felt numb. My ears were still filled with the thrum of the rebel alarms and all I could see were Amber's lifeless eyes, red seeping through her dress. Even after a bath I felt sticky, as if I was still covered in her blood.

It was James who'd finally pulled me away from her body. I'd been muttering, repeating "Aidan" and "he did it" over and over again, like I still couldn't believe it. I didn't want to believe it.

Mom's screams were still haunting my brain. The rest of my family had stopped once they saw the scene, Amber motionless on the ground and me covered in blood. Mom had collapsed, wailing like I'd been only moments before, once she'd heard my words. In one night, she'd lost both her eldest and youngest children.

The attack seemed to stop as quickly as it had begun. A horde of people had come from the ballroom in a frenzy, groups of guards frantically shoving them back. Distantly I remembered a second gunshot, but I was still shaking in horror. It was so bad James was forced to carry me away from the mess, placing me in the care of Cora and Beth back in my room.

I sat on the bed, wrapped in a fluffy white robe. I wanted to rip it off, I kept seeing blood stains form on it. I wanted someone to hold me, but I didn't know where anyone had gone. I could only see the horror on Kaleb's face, Mom sobbing into Dad's chest, Annika frozen in place. James had left and all I wanted was Genevieve or Liana, Everly, or even Rowan to comfort me. Even more, I wanted Derek to find me. I didn't understand why he'd disappeared so quickly.

I felt tears streaming down my face again. Beth and Cora looked at me, sorrow and pity coating their features, before they curled up beside me. Beth began to sing softly, a sweet lullaby intended to rock me to sleep. I didn't know when, but I eventually drifted off.
~~~
My sleep was mind-numbing; I didn't dream at all. I supposed I was still in shock, my body incapable of figuring out what to do. I woke up late, my cheeks crusted with old tears, to Beth, Elisa, and Cora quietly speaking. Elisa had dark circles under her eyes; I remembered her standing next to Kaleb last night, motionless as someone covered Amber's body.

I sat up slowly, not sure if I wanted to actually get out of bed. If I didn't, maybe I'd never have to face what happened last night. Elisa stood up and sat beside me, still wearing her dress from last night.

"Kaleb and Annika are in their rooms. Your parents are in the hospital with-with the body."

I swallowed at her words. "Aidan?" I spoke after a few moments.

"He's gone. Nobody could find or catch him," she spoke slowly. "I'm so sorry, Erika."

The words sunk in; nobody had caught him. Aidan was wanted now. He must have been a rebel or whatever they wanted to call themselves. He was the reason, or one of the reasons that the rebel alarm had gone off. I didn't even want to think about how he'd gotten a gun and the fact that he'd been planning to use it. That he'd planned to use it on Derek.

"Erika, there's something else..." Elisa began but a knock on the door interrupted her before she could finish. Beth scurried to open it and Derek stepped through. His eyes were bloodshot, as if he'd spent the whole night crying. About Amber?

"Could I please speak to Lady Erika? Alone." His voice was hoarse. My maids rushed out the door, Elisa giving me one last glance before closing the door.

I sniffled, wiping my tear-filled eyes, and moved to sit on the edge of the bed. Derek remained standing, looking anywhere but my face.

"You're going home, Erika."

"I know. The funeral," my voice caught at the word. "I don't know how long it'll be before I can come back."

"No. I'm sending you home, Erika," Derek chose to look at me now. "You're eliminated from the Selection."

I froze at that. My heart was beating rapidly--surely I'd heard him wrong? "What?"

"How many times do I have to say it?" Derek spoke louder, but I could hear his voice breaking. "You're eliminated."

"Why?" I tried to control my breathing. "I don't understand."

"You don't-?" Derek ran a hand through his hair angrily. He stormed over to me suddenly, grabbing my arm hard enough that I yelped in surprise. He pointed to the star charm. "Because of this."

"My bracelet? Derek, I don't understand what you're talking about," I yanked my arm away, starting to feel scared.

"I don't know how I didn't see it before," Derek chuckled without humor and began to pace my room. "First the charm, and then your brother trying to kill me. What were you planning on doing next?"

I shrank away. "I don't understand. I had no idea that Aidan was a rebel, I swear."

"How am I supposed to know that? You, me, your sister, and him were the only people in that hallway."

"You brought me to that hallway," I was starting to sound hysterical with my disbelief. "My sister saved your life and she's dead because of it."

"And my sister is dying because you brought your brother and his rebels into this palace!" Derek was close to tears as he stared at me.

"What?" I spoke in disbelief. The second gunshot--which of his sisters?

"Genevieve is lying in a hospital bed, in a coma because a rebel shot her," Derek was bitter. "Maybe you aren't a rebel. But your brother is. And I can't bear to look at you because of it."

"Derek," I felt more tears slipping down my cheeks. First Amber, then Aidan, and now Derek? "I love you. Please don't do this."

"I never want to see you again," he turned to the door. "Now get out of the palace."

I flinched as he slammed the door behind him. Only hours ago, he was kissing me in the hallway. Now he hated me and had eliminated me from the Selection.

I crumpled to the floor, my heart breaking into a million pieces. How had I found love only to lose it so quickly?

       E N D O F  B O O K  T W O