[Chapter 51]: The burning city

"Gone? What do you mean she's gone?" Aizawa questioned the nurse.

"Well we went into her room for her 9 pm drug dose and she wasn't there. We've checked all over the hospital and the window was left open. We're assuming she left through that." The nurse shrugged. "We tried to contact her guardian, but he doesn't seem to be answering his phone."

"That's strange... May I look at the room?"

"Yes that should be fine. I'll notify the emergency ward."

Aizawa walked around the room, observing the scene left behind. It was clean, everything looked normal. But all your possessions were gone, including your hero costume. He walked up to the window and peered out over the brightly lit city.

"(Y/n), just what are you doing..."

-Central Hosu-

"Ready when you are." Dabi nonchalantly said.

You stood at the edge of the building Dabi had chosen to be your perch, looking out over the streets. 

This is... You opened your hand and stared at your palms. 

I'm really going to do this...

"What are you waiting for, hurry up."

You were frozen. It was as if time stopped. Eyes widening and body shaking, you felt your thoughts race.

I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T KILL ANYONE... BUT IF I DON'T THEN I RISK THE ONLY FAMILY I HAVE. WHAT DO I DO?! THIS IS-

There was a hand on your shoulder, snapping you out of your near incoherent thoughts. Your eyes darted over to Dabi.

"Frankly I don't care about your circumstances, but I don't like wasting time so listen up." He took hold of your quivering wrist and pulled it to face a shorter building to your left. "That's a law firm that closes at 5 pm. None of the lights are on which means the building has been cleared out. Shoot there if you're worried about killing people."

"How... How do you say that so casually..." You questioned as he released your wrist.

"If I'm fighting for a cause I believe in, I don't care how steep the price is." He calmly responded. You lowered your hand, head turning towards him.

"What cause do you feel is so noble that it's worth sacrificing innocent people?" Your eyes burned into him, but his face remained unchanged. He smirked and tilted his head a bit.

"I could ask you the same thing." Your mouth hung open a bit.

He's right... I'm putting innocent lives in jeopardy for the sake of a single person. No matter what it is, my cause is no nobler than his...

You clicked your tongue, eyes darting back to the building. Bending down you placed your palms on the ground, breaking down the concrete to generate a large amount of energy. Exhaling, you stood once more and lifted a hand towards the building.

I've made my choice. I must deal with the repercussions now.

A bright sphere of light launched from your palm, barreling toward the building. Upon impact, the ball imploded, the shockwave echoing across the streets and striking fear into the hearts of all below.

"That's some pretty impressive firepower you got there." Dabi chuckled. You lowered your hand and clenched it into a fist. The screams of the civilians became louder and louder, beating against your eardrums as if to knock sense into you. "Let's move."

"...Right..."

- - -

Hell began to ensue.

Alarms ringing, people screaming, heroes and sidekicks frantically attempting to get everyone to safety. You could even hear the screeches of the Nomus.

I started this.

You and Dabi moved along through the alleyways, setting buildings on fire and causing explosions. You were taking extra care not to hit anybody, and Dabi could tell.

But he said nothing.

As you came around the corner of a building, your eyes fell upon the figure of a man with his leg trapped under a large piece of concrete. Your mouth dropped open and before you even realized it, your legs began moving on their own.

"Stop." Dabi commanded. You halted and glanced back at him.

"But..."

"You're not apart of that world anymore, remember?"

I do. I know that all too well. But even still-

You ignored him and continued forward towards the helpless man.

I can't just sit around and do nothing!

Dabi watched from the alleyway and mumbled.

"You're gonna be such a pain..." He lifted his hand up to his ear, pressing the intercom button. "Shigaraki, can we be done now?" After a moment of waiting, there was a response.

"Yes... You can head back now. Tell me Dabi, did the girl do her job?" Shigaraki questioned over the radio. Dabi's eyes darted towards you. You were in the process of disintegrating the rubble from the man's leg, shouting words of reassurance and encouragement. Dabi sighed.

"Yes, without hesitation."

After the man had fled, you stood and made your way back over to the alleyway. Dabi was leaning up against the side waiting for you.

Ahh shit, what did I just do... This is bad, I'm gonna be in tro-

"Let's go. The pale piece of shit says we're done." He nonchalantly said. Your eyes lock in his, a confused look on your face.

"Did you just..." You cracked a tiny smile and attempted to contain your chuckles.

"What? You said it yourself, that's what he is." Dabi turned and began heading back towards the meeting location.

"Wait!" Your hand reached out and latched onto the back of his coat. "Am I... not in trouble?"He paused and glanced back at you.

"Let go." He coldly demanded. He didn't even answer your question, but nonetheless, you obeyed and released his coat. Your eyes turned towards the ground as you backed away from him. Dabi's gaze lingered on you another moment before he turned and continued forward.

- - -

"We're almost there. Keep an eye out, this place is crawling with pros."

It was. The situation had only escalated from before. Dabi even mentioned that Endeavor was in Hosu. The two of your moved quickly through the dark, avoiding the open as well as you could. You saw flashes of the Nomu in the brief moments you passed the alleyway entrances. Flashes of terrified civilians and bleeding heroes. You couldn't help but look.

And then in that split second of passing, your eyes met that of a boy you knew. His heterochromic irises burned into you. And just like that, you were gone. Shouto paused, his eyes widening in disbelief.

"STOP!" He called out towards you, beginning to make his way into the alley after you.

"SHOUTO, WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!" Endeavor turned and shouted.

"I think I saw my friend. Go ahead, I'll meet you there."

He didn't falter for a second, his body quickly disappearing into the alleyway and fading from the light of the burning city.