XXXIV. Exposed

The rain from last night froze in the early morning as the temperature continued to drop. The driveway looked like an ice skating rank, so instead of heading to the kitchen for breakfast, Mel went outside and skated around the driveway in her traction-less Converse. She slid around in an attempt to walk gracefully, but her feet had other plans and took off without the rest of her body.

Her marshmallow coat would have padded most of her fall, but Rosalie stepped outside in time to catch Mel before she landed on her butt in the middle of the driveway.

"What are you doing, Mel?" Rosalie asked, exasperated, as she righted her red-nosed sister.

"I was trying to glide, but I lost my balance," Mel said with a pout. She brushed her frozen fingers through her hair.

"Alright, well, you've had your fun, but mom wants you inside for breakfast before we leave. Come on." Rosalie nudged Mel forward and guided her across the ice to the house.

A fresh plate of chocolate chip waffles with banana slices and a cup of orange juice was waiting for Mel when her and Rosalie walked inside.

Breakfast was a quick affair, and then the Cullen kids were off to school.

~*~

Melaina stood in the rain with her siblings after class. Alice held a simple grey umbrella over their heads as they waited for Rosalie and Emmett. The newest foster of the Cullens didn't understand why exactly they were standing silently in the rain, but she stayed put nonetheless.

Rosalie appeared and handed Mel a bag of M&M's. Melaina's eyes widened in excitement. "My teacher handed these out at the end of class," Rosalie explained with a roll of her marigold eyes. After thanking the blonde, the bag was quickly ripped open and the contents devoured in handfuls.

As she was popping the last few chocolate pieces into her mouth, Mel's eyes were suddenly covered by Jasper's cold hands.

A high-pitched screech filled the air. Jasper shielded her from the disaster suddenly occurring before them. Tyler's dark blue van had hit a patch of black ice, and his vehicle skidded towards a poorly located Bella Swan.

Mel could hear the tires screeching and the commotion of a frantic crowd. "Jazz." Mel swiped his hands away. Her grey-green eyes widened as Edward, who had been right beside her and the family, appeared from behind the wrecked blue van.

"Did Edward just--?" Mel started. She made a move to walk forward, but Jasper held her back with one arm locked around her waist.

"He's such an idiot!" Rosalie hissed. Her reaction answered Mel's question well enough.

Jasper looked pained and his eyes darkened, which clued Mel in that someone had spilled blood in the accident.

His vice grip on Mel loosened when Alice placed a hand on his arm to calm him. Jasper released his youngest sister, but his eyes remained solidly black. Mel didn't try to wander off again.

"I'm going to tell Carlisle," Rosalie seethed, sliding into her red Convertible. Emmett joined her a moment later with a look of disappointment on his sculpted face.

Edward had exposed them to the public.

"You're okay, Jasper. We'll drop Melaina at home with Esme and go for a hunt," Alice said to her husband softly. "We'll take Edward's car home. He is going to the hospital with Bella."

Alice unlocked the Volvo with her spare key. They drove home in silence; Jasper tensely held his breath the entire ride.