24

Chapter twenty-four

I stood there in front of my house, watching as the flames grew rapidly. My eyes widened when I realized it.

My parents were in there.

I tried to run towards the house, but my feet stayed planted firmly on the ground. I looked down, trying so hard to move my feet, so desperate to get to my parents in time. They were stuck; glued in place.

I looked back up in terror. The flames were everywhere. My heart beat fastened, and I could feel the tears just on the verge of spilling.

"Mom! Dad!" I yelled. "Get out of the house! Get out!"

But then I heard their screams. The ones I can ever forget.

"Mom! Dad! Please don't go! Don't leave me!"

"Lauren! Lauren, wake up!"

My eyes snapped open, and I jolted upwards into sitting position. I was panting, and I could feel sweat lining across my forehead.

"Hey," Logan said as he came into view and grabbed my shoulders gently. "Are you okay?"

I looked at the concern in his eyes and nodded. "Yeah, I just.." I trailed off, shaking my head and offering the faintest of smiles, "bad dream."

"I'll go get you some water."

I watched as he stood and made his way into the kitchen. I exhaled and wiped my eyes, as if I could erase the images from my mind. Telling myself they were just dreams, I smiled forcefully when Logan came back into the room with a glass of water in his hands. He handed me the glass, and I took it thankfully as he sat down on the coffee table in front of me.

"I want to take you somewhere." He said.

"Where?" I asked curiously, bringing the rim up to my lips.

"I can't say, yet." He smiled.

In all honesty, I hated surprises, but since I liked him, I supposed I could let it slide just this once.

"I'll take you to your house to change, and then I'll pick you up in an hour." he suggested, taking the empty glass from my hands.

"Okay," I agreed, "let me go get my stuff from your room first."

I ran up the stairs to his room after he nodded, and I scooped my clothes up from his bed and swung my bag onto my shoulder. I made my way make down the stairs and followed Logan out to his car. He drove me home, and as I got down from his car, he called out to me.

"Dress comfortably!"

I turned around to smile in acknowledgement and continued walking up the driveway to the front door. I went straight into the restroom once I was inside the house to take a quick shower and left wet footprints on the floor as I trailed back to my room in a towel. After slipping my undergarments on, I stood in front of my closet, glancing around at all of my clothes. Since I was supposed to dress comfortably – according to Logan – I decided on a long-sleeved, blue-and-white stripped shirt, my favorite pair of jeans, and converse. Once I was dressed, I strolled back into the restroom to do a quick makeup routine. When I finished, I grabbed a small bag from my room, placing my deodorant stick in it, along with my keys and wallet.

I left my room and walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. I opened the refrigerator in search for food, but since I hadn't gone grocery shopping in an eternity, I was met with nothing.

Sighing, I closed the door, making a mental note to go to the store later, and made my way over to the pantry for a bottle of water. As I leaned down to reach for one, the door bell rang, and I jumped, hitting my head against one of the shelves.