75 - Dragon & Phoenix Gate

The world is bigger than what you think.

I thought I knew the meaning of grand. Until I stood at the solid golden dragon and phoenix gate of Wu Xi Palace, I finally understood. On one side of the gate was a long line of pretty palace maids and eunuchs in rich colorful robes. On the other side was a longer line of palace guards in golden armors. The enormous gate had been wide enough to let three eight-people carriages through. When the curtains to our carriage were lifted, an endless corridor greets us.

"Ruyi"

I had been amazed by the opulent entrance that I hadn't noticed the Prince was already standing outside the carriage with his hand held out to me. The moment I left the carriage, the sharp gasps had me look up. The carriages beside us held other nobles. The shock on their faces as they stared at me made nervous.

Jumao had prepared a deep green dress for me to wear. Since it was winter, the dress was in layers with long sleeves and collars. Matching the dress, my headpiece had green jade stones interweaved within the loose braids in my hair. No matter how beautiful the dress and the accessory was, I imagined people were staring because of my ghostly appearance. I always felt the dark color dresses highlight the whiteness of my skin, so I prefer to wear muted colors dresses. But the Prince's maids never had me wear anything but dark bold colors. Green seems to the favorite color for me.

"Where is Wang Fei's cape?"

The Prince voice brought my attention back to him. Jumao who had followed in a separate carriage, went to the Prince's side with a light green long cape in her hand. With his eyes still on me, the Prince took the cape, wrapped it around my shoulders, and covered my head with the hood. The entire time, I saw his scowl. He is angry again. I don't think I have done anything to upset him.

"Are you cold, Ruyi?"

I am always cold but I could never admit that. Shaking my head, my eyes flicker to the side.

"You're not very good at lying Ruyi"

Blushing hard, I felt his warm fingers against my cheek.

"Let's go"

Following beside him, I felt his warm grip against my fingers. It did not escape my attention how the maids were all stealing glancing at the Prince when we walked passed. Looking up at his side profile, I could see why. The Prince was handsome. His skin was clear and smooth – golden like the sun. His hair was like midnight, and eyes were like the stormy clouds. Tall, strong, and enthralling – the Prince was like a flame burning constantly.

At the end of the long corridor, we reached a spacious court where the golden palace could be seen in a far distance. Instead of heading toward the palace, the Prince led me toward another endless corridor that opened out to a colorful garden. After walking through more corridors, I realized that the palace grounds were like a maze. No wonder the Prince told me to stay close. If I wondered off alone, I will never find the way out.