77 - Fleeting Beauty

"What do you think my Empress?"

It wasn't until the Emperor asked that question that I noticed the crowd within the golden tent. Sitting at Emperor's left was his Empress. Behind the Empress Dowager were several of her lady escorts. On the Emperor's left was the Crown Prince. Behind the Crown Prince was his Crown Princess and son, Prince Hao Rang.

"Your Majesty"

My eyes followed the pretty voice only to face a pair of angry eyes. Directly behind the Empress was a beautiful young woman in a gold and red dress. She was easily the most beautiful woman present. Why was she glaring at me? This was our first time meeting, so why was I given such a look?

"Step forward daughter of Marquess Li"

Before I could take a step, the Prince took hold of my hand, stopping me.

"Is your Wang Fei so precious that you refused to let this Empress have a close look?"

I could hear the sharpness of the Empress' words. It was clear that the Empress was unhappy with the Prince's action. The Prince's face let me know he was also unhappy.

Why am I stuck in the middle?

While a headache begin to form, I have a bad feeling that the awkward silence is due to my presence.

The Empress did not like me.

I was not surprised. Not wanting the trouble to continue on, I tightened my hold on the Prince's hand before I gently pulled away.

Standing a few feet before the Empress and the beautiful group of women behind her, I slowly went to my knees and bowed low with my forehead down to my folded hand. Along with some books I've read, Jumao had taught me for days on the proper etiquette whenever I meet with the Empress and the other female royalty of the palace. Because of my position, it was required that I show respect to other women with higher status. Because of the Prince's position, I didn't want to cause him any shame.

"Stand"

I quietly stood, making sure not to look directly at the Empress. I didn't want to challenge anyone.

"Lift your head"

Again, I did as told.

"How old are you?"

I kept my expression carefully blank. Jumao had warned me over and over never to show emotions toward the women in the palace. Any emotions shown could be used to against me - to punish me. I never want to be punished if I could help it.

"10 months past 17, your majesty..."

"And you've been with Prince Wu Jian for how long?"

"10 months your majesty"

I was married the day I turned seventeen.

"10 months and you're able to capture the Prince" Her voice was calm but I could hear the hidden sneer. "It seems your mother has taught you some skills"

I knew when I was being insulted. I have grown up with half-sisters who thrown insults at me whenever they saw me. I learned to keep silent. Once they have their fill, they'll leave me alone. Beside, my mother was a maid who had gone above her station to get into the Marquess' bed. I couldn't fault the Empress for saying such words.

"How long do you think until the Prince grows tired of you and your skills?"

Her words were like blades, attacking mercilessly.

So this is where the Prince gets his temperament.

The Great Emperor and Empress of Wu Xi had raised him. It's only natural that Prince Wu Jian picked up on their characters.

"The Empress is questioning you!" Ting spoke out haughtily - clearly showing her dislike toward me. "Insolent woman, you dare not to answer her majesty's question_?"

Before Ting spoke further, the Empress lifted her hand. Fuming, Ting sat back with her mother hold on her hand.

"A woman beauty is fleeting. A man love is brief. Enjoy it while you can Li Ruyi"

I knew those words more than the Empress realize. Beauty and love - I never dared to hope for them. I won't wish or ask for them. I can't risk such pain when I already have to live with the physical pain of the poison.

"Mornings are fleeting. There is no beauty, only a fleeting moment of light"

Why did I spoke such words to the Empress?

"Ruyi thanks her Majesty..." I bowed my head low, hiding my embarrassment.

There was silence until the Empress told me I could go.

"Your Majesty_" Ting was surprised by the Empress' troubled expression.

But the Empress lifted her hand again to silence Ting's outburst.