Chapter Twenty-One

Korra's POV 

"I want to take you out tonight. Maybe we could go for dinner?" 

That's what Asami said. After she told me, out of habit, I agreed. She's my best friend, I couldn't just ignore her. Even if something like that happened between us. Due to the embarrassment of remembering it, I sprinted out of the cafeteria immediately when the bell rang. I felt bad for leaving her behind, but I couldn't look at her and keep a straight face. 

Dinner? 

As I walked through the semi-crowded halls absentmindedly, I bumped into someone. 

"Korra." Bolin greeted with his usual smile. He then looked at me with concern, probably because I made it too obvious. "What's wrong?".

"It's nothing." I lied. Although he knew it wasn't, he simply smiled and walked beside me. Bolin may have been scary-looking on the outside, he's actually a big softie. He doesn't pry too much and he doesn't stick to me either. He gives me space, at the right times, even when I don't ask for it. I'm thankful for that.

"Hey, you wanna go watch a movie tonight? My treat!" He asks joyfully. 

"I can't. I have a dinner date with Asami." I said carelessly. I felt flushed instantly, as I realized how I worded that sentence. 

"Oh cool." Bolin permitted, completely unaware of the situation I was in. "You should patch things up with Asami. You're best friends after all." 

Yeah. He's right. Asami's just maybe gonna clear things up between us. We'll maybe just apologize to each other and forget what happened. That's a lot of maybes though. 

~~~~

When the bell finally rang, dismissing us from our last class. I made my way out the door with Bolin. During class, Bolin offered to give me a ride home. I agreed because well, who would turn down an offer home in a nice and comfortable car, for a bumpy and stinky ride on the school bus?

He dropped me off, kissed me goodbye on my forehead, before leaving. I didn't know what it was, but somehow his display of affection was bland to me. It didn't sit quite right and after I felt a little uncomfortable. I dismissed the idea, categorizing it as one of my useless thoughts.

I went inside my empty house once again, only to find it not empty after all.

"Korra." My mother said. She sat on one of the corner armchairs we had in the living room. She looked dull, as usual with her dark gray suit and tied up hair. At that moment, I remembered vaguely a time when my mother kept her beautiful dark brown, almost black hair down. It used to always sway smoothly against her shoulders, making her look younger than her age.  

I was momentarily distracted when the sound of her clearing her throat brought back my attention. Then she stood, with her arms crossed across her chest. She continued to stare me down. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked, breaking the tense silence. 

"As far as I'm concerned, this is still my house." She remarked. She shifted her weight on one leg and leaned against the chair behind her.

"You don't get to say that." I retaliated, as I came inside the living room. I stood in the middle of the room, in a stance. I wanted to prove myself to her. Tell her that she had no control over me anymore. What better way to do that than to challenge her self-appointed authority?

She stood there, dumbfounded. Her eyebrows lifted slightly, sending a slight shiver down my spine. Then she simply smirked mockingly. 

She then stood up and headed towards the dining table, gesturing me to follow her. I did, and she sat in a chair on one end of the long table and I sat across from her.