Chapter Seventeen

"What's wrong, baby?" Isaac lowers the music down in his car. "You've been nothing but talkative all day today, and now I can barely hear you breathing."

"Nothing," I smile softly at him.

"Hailey, what's wrong? Something's obviously bothering you."

Something was bothering me. His gun. It's been on my mind since he pulled it out in the parking lot. Which by the way he still had tucked in the back of his jeans. Just when I had really started growing comfortable with him, he goes and messes it up with this. It didn't bother me because of the person he was, i just didn't like guns in general. I hated that my dad had guns in the house due to his job line, I just didn't feel safe with them around.

"I will pull over on the side of this freeway until you tell me what's wrong, baby."

There was that word again. Baby. The impact that it had on me amazed me every time. My knee's would buckled going weak every time he said it.

I glance over at him, "did you have it on you the whole time today?"

"What are you talking about?" He arches an eyebrow. Clearly not getting what I'm referring to. "Have what on me?"

"Your piece, Isaac! Your gun! Did you have it with you the whole time?! Was it on you when we were having dinner? When we were in that small book store?" He turns to look at me for no longer than an second and focuses back on the road. "Answer me!"

He inhales a sharp breath tightening his grip on the steering wheel. Oh no, I'm pushing too far again, he's gonna snap. "Yes," he answers surprisingly calm.

"Do you always carry it with you?"

"Yes," he continues to reply shortly.

"Is- is that what you carry in your backpack at school?" I ask him.

Isaac glances over at me, a stern look on his face but doesn't say anything. He doesn't need to, his silence is enough to give me my answer. He turns his attention back onto the road. I really don't want to start a fight with him on our first date, in his car. We're about fifteen minutes away from home, and I do not want to deal with the awkward silence that comes after wards, but I couldn't help it. I needed him to know how I felt about his little toy. I wasn't the type of person who normally expressed her feelings, nor who rarely got mad but here I was, furious that he carried that thing with him.

I scoff loudly and look away from him, keeping my eyes on the road in front of us. "That is not okay, Isaac. I am not okay with you carrying that thing around when you're with me! Why do you even carry it?!" I turn to look at him, "we were just going to dinner for crying out loud! What could possibly go wrong while we're eating!?"

Issac glances at me for a quick second, "are you serious right now?" He scoffs. "Do you know who my family is, Hailey? Do you know who's son I am? Does my last name not ring any bells to you? Anything can happen at any given point, Hail! A lot of people may be afraid of my father, but he does have his share amount of enemies as well. I'm sorry, It's a fücking habit taking it everywhere with me, it's the way I was raise, baby. I was taught to always be cautious, to always be ready, especially when I'm not in my territory."

His territory? As in where we live?

I glance back at him but I don't know what to say, so I say nothing. I really don't know where I was expecting to go with this. I felt so comfortable around Isaac tonight that I forgot who he actually was, where and who he came from. I didn't see him as the mob bosses son tonight, I saw him for who he wanted me to see, I saw him for him. I saw a totally different side to him today, one you wouldn't think existed, someone I attached myself too quickly too. I turned away from him, gazing out the window as Isaac drove off of the freeway. A minute later we pull into an empty parking lot and Isaac kills his engine.