34

I grinned at Sagacity and turned to my friends. 

"If you do not surrender, then prepare to die!" The leader shouted. "For King Tristian."

I spun around on my heel and gripped my bow and pulled back an arrow. "Bring it on," I shouted, letting the arrow fly. It struck the leader in the chest. He stumbled back and fell to his knees, dead.

The Winter Army raged, running toward us. 

I started to shout commands. "Ruby, stay back. Reserve your power, we'll need it later, okay?" She nodded, her face pale. "Phoenix, I want you in the air." He blasted upwards, his golden wings catching the sun. "Angelina, can you use a sword?" I asked.

In response, she pulled a sword out from her sheath. "Teleport behind the ones riding animals and catch them off guard. Be careful." She disappeared in a small cloud of smoke. I turned to the great dragon.

"Sagacity, I doubt I need to tell you what to do." He bowed his head and turned to the waiting Army, getting closer. Sagacity roared and the ground shook. The first few lines of the Army stumbled under the earthquake. 

Maybe we had a shot. 

He opened his mouth and a blast of fire turned them to dust. I backed up and stood before them, taking a deep breath. I slowly brought my arms up and out, my hands trembling.

A wave of ravens exploded from my outstretched hands. Their black feathers bled into the sunlight as they ravaged on the Army, each bird killing someone with one strike. 

Phoenix soared above the army, blasting Winter birds with fire, destroying the soldiers, and fighting against other winged creatures. Sagacity took to the sky as well and plowed through them, his giant claws raking the ground. 

I backed up to where Ruby was, sitting with her back to the Army. "Ruby," I said, blasting more ravens at them. "On my signal, I need you to unleash everything you have, okay?"

She nodded. 

I sped back into battle, meeting the Army in the center of the battlefield. I switched to a sword and fought with each person, killing man and beast. A blast of my black magic, a hit with my sword. Blood splattered on the ground, turning the beautiful green a deep red. 

Angelina appeared at my side and we worked together, watching each other's back. "Get to Ruby!" I panted. "I have a plan." With a tight nod, she disappeared again. I jumped up and stretched my wings, flying above the Army. 

Sagacity blasted more of them, but there were still more. They just kept coming and coming, pouring from the castle, from the skies, from everywhere. 

"Phoenix!" I yelled. "Get to Ruby!"

I flew back to where Ruby was, waiting with Angelina. I squinted at them. Angelina was yelling something and pointing. I turned my head and gasped. 

Phoenix was being attacked by Winter birds and other winged creatures I couldn't describe. As I flew around I screamed, "Now Ruby!" 

I was close to him, so close. He was shouting my name, begging for help, fighting against them. "Raven!" He shouted. I was so close. 

Just as I neared him enough to reach him, the world exploded.