The Rebel Attack

Flashback to the rebel attack during the choosing ceremony (all rights go to Keira Cass)

America POV

"I'll be glad when you're gone"
After he spat those last words, his smile returned and he faced Kriss agin. I stared into my lap a minute , slowing my breathing and putting on a brave face. When I brought my eyes up agin, I didn't dare look directly at anyone, I didn't think I could honor Maxons last wish if I did. Instead , I focused on the walls of the room. It was because of that I noticed when most of the guards stepped away from them at some signal I didn't see. Pieces of red fabric were pulled out of their pockets and tied across their foreheads.
I watched in confusion as a red- marked guard walked up behind Celeste and put a bullet squarely through the back of her head.
The screaming and gunfire exploded at once. Guttural shouts of pain filled the room, adding to the cacophony of chairs screeching, bodies hitting walls, and the stampede of people trying to escape as fast as they could in their heels and suits. I watched, stunned, seeing death more times in a handful of seconds than ought to be possible. I looked for the king and queen, but they where gone. I was gripped with fear , unsure if they'd escaped or been captured. I looked for Adele, for her children. I couldn't see them anywhere, and that was even worse than losing sight of the king and queen.
Beside me, Maxon was trying to calm Kriss. " Get on the floor" he told her " we're going to be fine."
I looked to my right for Aspen and was in awe for a moment. He was on one knee, taking aim, firing deliberately into the crowd. He must have been very sure of his target to do that.
Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a flicker of red. Suddenly a rebel guard was standing right in front of us. As I thought the words rebel guard, it all clicked into place. Anne had told me this had happened before, when the rebels had gotten the guards uniforms and had sneaked into the palace. But how?
As Kriss let out another cry, I realized that the guards who were sent to our houses hadn't abandoned their post at all. They wee dead and buried, their clothes stolen and standing in front of us.
Not that this information did me any good now.
I knew that I should run, that Maxon and Kriss should run if they were going to make it. But I was frozen as the menacing figure raised his gun and directed it at Maxon. I looked up at Maxon and he looked at me. I wished I had time to speak I turned away, back to the man. A look of amusement crossed his face his face as if he suspected this would be much more entertaining for himself and much more painful for Maxon, he slid his gun ever so slightly to his right and aimed it at me.
I didn't even think to scream. I couldn't move at all, but I saw the blur of Maxon's suit coat as he leaped toward me.
I fell to the ground but not in the direction I thought I would. Maxon missed me, flying across in front of me. When I hit the floor, I looked up to see Aspen. He'd sprinted to the table and pushed over my chair, crashing on top of me.
"I got him!" Someone shouted "Find the King".
"Are you hurt?" Aspen demanded over the commotion. I think I shook my head.
"Come on Mer we need to get you out of here"
"What about Maxon take him to the safe room first"
"I will come back for him later but right now we need       To go!"
I wanted Aspen to take Maxon but I knew the sooner I went the sooner he could come back and get Maxon.
I didn't even see Maxon anywhere.
I went with Aspen to a safe room. Once I was in the safe room Aspen slammed the door and left me alone in the darkness.

Maxon's POV

I did not even think , as the rebel was about to pull the trigger I jumped in front of America. As I fell to the ground I felt a sharp burning pain in my right shoulder.
I got shot.
My vision started to blur as I thought of all the thing I would never see.
America walking down the aisle
Our children
Streaks of silver in her beautiful fiery red hair.
But I realized it would be okay.
If me dying meant America living, how could that be anything but good.
I probably would never see her agin. Even if I do live through this attack, I doubt she will want to talk to me agin after the way I treated her. Today has been one of the worst days of my life. It started of as one of the best, I got to wake up with America in my arms. I got to tell her I loved her. And she told me she loved me back.
Then I realized that I would always love America. Even if she did not love me back. "Break my heart" I whispered. " Break it a thousand times if you like it was only ever yours to break anyway. I will love you to my very last breath every beat of my heart is yours."
At that I closed my eyes and let darkness take me away.

America's POV

I  ran down the halls. I was going to beg Maxon to listen to me. As I rounded the corner to Maxon's room, I hear a feminine giggle. The door to his room is slightly ajar and I peek inside. I instantly regret it. There sitting Maxon's bed was Kriss.
She had her arms wrapped around him, smiling.
I started to run and tears streamed down my face. He actually choose her. I couldn't believe it. I ran to my room and packed my stuff. This would be the last time I let Maxon Schreave break my heart.

Authors Note

I hope you guys enjoyed the story. I'm sorry if it does not make sense that Maxon said he basically said he wanted to pick America and then he ended up choosing Kriss (sorry if that sentence did not make sense ☹️) but I have a plan as to why he did. Thank you for reading I was so happy when I saw that someone actually read my story I freaked out and was jumping on my bed ( not really but I was so happy o could have) please leave a comment if you have any suggestions

~ Alison 🤓 ✌️🤘✌️

QOTD
Who is your favorite Selection character

AOTD
Maxon,he is amazing