Chapter Twenty Four

A little short but I still hope you all enjoy! This chapter is dedicated to the beautiful Holland_Italy for her moodboard that is shown above I think? This one is Rowan's and the nex chapter will feature the King's!

Chapter Twenty Four

Sage and Shaterria were waiting for me when I arrived, Sage's facial expression turning grim when his eyes landed on the bloody bundle of fur in my arms. They were both silent, neither having a sarcastic remark.

"I will search for the King. Assist Rowan," Shaterria said quietly and for once, Sage did not argue. As I entered, Shaterria rushed in, grabbing a coat and shoes before going outside in the rain.

I walked into my own room, gently placing Todd onto the bed before silently grabbing the first aid kit. Sage walked in shortly after, coming to my side. "How can I help?" he asked, his voice without anger or annoyance.

"Grab a rag. We need to clean the area," I said, Sage leaving right after and coming back quickly.

Neither one of us spoke as we worked together, the silence surrounding us like a blanket. I found myself whispering to my little one, telling him to hold on for just a little longer and that all would be fine. I had saved him once and would do so again.

We finished doing all we could and I left Todd on the bed, running my hand along him as Sage cleaned up. "All will be fine, my little one," I whispered to him, leaning down to press my lips to his head. I stayed like that for a moment, my eyes closed, before Sage joined my side once again.

"The King has been found and is in his room. Shaterria investigated the area and found scraps nearby," Sage said softly and I shook my head. Of course. The only way Todd was to trust a stranger was through the offering of food, his greatest weakness.

I stood, look at the wall as I finally spoke. "I will be leaving. Todd and I will pick up my father-"

"Rowan," Sage tried, his voice holding caution.

My eyes turned towards him, holding a burning fire. "No, Sage. This-" I hissed, pointing at Todd who was oblivious to the world around us. "-is not what we agreed to. I could handle myself and handle if someone's wrath was directed towards me. But what I will not do is stand by while they hurt one of the two that I hold closest." Sage was quiet, considering my words.

"I understand-" Once again, I was quick to cut him off, his word choice angering me.

"No, you do not! Your King is fine as is Shaterria. They have not been harmed in the slightest. But Todd has and is going to die because of this place!" I snapped, pausing to calm myself before adding, "I am sorry but I am not willing to sacrifice him for King Sandalius' well-being."

It was his turn to glare at me, a frown falling upon his face. "Do you think I do not know the pain of losing those closest to you? Think for once, Rowan, instead of speaking impulsively. I was here before all fled. I had friends and family. Do you think it was easy for me to watch them pack and leave, to claim I was foolish for standing by the side of a man who would eventually kill me? It was not, yet I am still here." For that, I had nothing to say, my anger dying down.

We both fell quiet and I watched as his own anger ceased. He ran a hand through his hair, sighing, before speaking again. "Perhaps the best place for your father and Todd would be at home if you truly worry for them. It is far away from here and familiar to your fox. Your father's servant will be sent with him, along with whatever he needs. Will this suffice?' he asked, awaiting my answer.

I turned, my eyes falling on my little one. It would be better for him at home, regardless of whether I was there or not. Todd did not put up with my father, but if he was all that was left, my little one would sacrifice his ways for his needs. However, my father was happy here.

I did not want to ruin his happiness with others, here in a town. He was able to live normally and did not have to keep to himself. He could go out as he pleased without being hassled. But I knew this would have to end eventually and we would all find our way back home.

If Todd and my father returned home without me and I stayed, perhaps I could renegotiate with the King and Sage. I would ask for my father to have a permanent place within the town, where he could live happily. It would be hard, but I would return home by myself after all of this and visit him often.

"A place for my father when this is over. I desire a home within the town for him, for free. I will stay if this is given," I said quietly, exhausted. It had been a long day and I had a feeling it would not end anytime soon.

"I will have that arranged," Sage replied, his voice holding a relieved note. "I know this is not easy but I appreciate your help, Rowan. Thank you," he said, walking closer to me.

"Todd will be fine as well. I have not seen any animal handle hardships as well as yours," he added, bringing a small smile to my face. Sage was right. Todd was stronger than any animal - than any person - I knew of.

"Of course he will. Isn't that right, my little one?" I said softly, reaching down to pet him again. I watched as Sage joined, running his own hand along Todd as well. I laughed quietly, thinking about how he would've cherished the amount of attention he was receiving right now if he could.

It was not long before Sage and I heard the castle's door open with an explosive boom, signaling that our day was, in fact, not yet over.