Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Mary and I entered the room slowly. The other two maids, Anne and Lucy, sat on the edge of America's bed. America stood in the middle of the room, wringing her hands nervously. She looked up at me. Her eyes flashed with a million different emotions as she studied my face. I noticed that her eyes were a little red from crying, even though she looked calm now.

Mary smiled at America as she nudged me further into the room. "Come on, girls," she said. "Let's give them some privacy."

The other maids stood from the bed and followed Mary from the room, leaving America and I alone. She gave me the smallest of smiles and I took a few cautious steps towards her. There was a certain awkwardness in the air. Even though I knew what we had to talk about, I still dreaded the thought of having a conversation with her about it. I knew I should've been able to talk of anything with America, but it seemed like too uncomfortable of a topic.

"You must be really good friends with those girls," I said, knowing it was just trivial chitchat. "Mary gave me a stern talking-to the whole way here."

America smiled and let out a light laugh. It was a sweet sound, but it did nothing to ease my discomfort with this whole situation. I could feel the conversation about my anxiety coming the way that you feel a storm brewing; slowly but surely, until it was on you in an instant. I smirked at her, trying to hide my unease.

"Yeah. They're pretty great girls." She took a couple of steadying breaths before continuing on. "Maxon, we have to talk about this."

Damn. Here it comes.

"You can't deal with this alone and I won't let you. I've lost you so many times before. I won't lose you again because of some anxiety; we can move past this. We can get on with our lives. We can get married, have kids, start a real life together. You want that, don't you?"

Of course I did. It was all I'd ever wanted. I wanted to start a life where she ruled Illéa by my side, where we had a perfect little family made of us and some adorable little children. It may sound cheesy to want that, but deep down it's what most everyone strives for. I nodded my head, showing how much I ached for that future to be a reality. Tears had gathered in my eyes without my knowing and I noticed that my breaths were trembly.

America kept speaking to me gently. "If you want those things, you have to let me in. Maxon, I can help you if you let me. I promise I'll do everything I can. So, will you let me help you?" She took my hands in hers, her touch desperate and pleading.

I studied her face, searching for any sign of insincerity. Was she really genuine when she said she would help? Could America really be so devoted to me that she would go through this for me? Was this actually the best decision? Should I let her help me pull myself from the anxiety's grasp?

Yes.

I took one of my hands out of her grasp, placing it against the smooth skin at the hollow of her neck. I played with a few strands of America's fiery hair, twirling it with my fingers. My eyes held hers, not once looking away. "Okay, love. You're right. I need your help. I didn't realize how much my decision would affect you. You're so passionate about this and I'm glad you convinced me. We need to be in this together."

It seemed as if a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. America's mouth grew into a broad grin of unadulterated joy. She seemed to radiate warmth and I pulled her into my arms in attempt to use that warmth to fight the chill that was growing within me. I kissed the top of her head, her hair tickling my face. My body shuddered as I tried to pull myself together.

"Thank you. I promise we can do this," America whispered, her voice muffled as she spoke into my shirt. She moved from the embrace, taking me by the hand and leading me to her balcony. I remembered all the fond memories we'd made here. This was where we'd had our first kiss. It was here that I had proposed to her, where she had become my fiancée. America and I stood in silence for a while, soaking in the morning sunlight. I felt my worries drift away. Things were going to be okay.

"So," I started, "how are we going to do this?"

She looked at me, her eyes hopeful and bright. America just shrugged at me. "I haven't quite figured that out yet. " I chuckled and quirked an eyebrow at her. "What? Maxon, I can't think of everything. I just proved my unlimited affection for you and now you want me to come up with a plan? That's a lot to ask of me, darling. I am fairly exhausted."

America wiped a hand across her forehead, as if she was fatigued from the emotional strain. It was so humorous that I broke down into a fit of laughter. She wore an expression of mock annoyance.

"Maxon Calix Schreave, stop laughing this instant. This isn't a joke. You have put me through so much that now I am burned out to the point that I could collapse at any second." America said all of this while holding back her giggles. I laughed even harder and leaned against the railing for support.

Eventually, America couldn't hold back her laughs any longer. She doubled over, her mouth forming a large smile. We both fell to the ground ungracefully, still laughing.

When I managed to calm down a bit, I asked her, "Really though, America. What are we going to do?"

America sighed, her laughter drifting off. "We can meet later in the secret room with the books. There has to be something there. How does that sound?"

I looked over at her as she stared right back at me. "It sounds perfect," I replied.

We sat there for a few minutes before I left her room. It was time for me to have a talk with my father.