12 | ACT I, SCENE XII

P R E V I O U S L Y

"Tristan Valmont and Edwina Tremayne, I now proclaim you man and wife."

CALCHESTER CITADEL, STEFFITH

COSMO

"CALL EDWINA HERE. TRISTAN AND Eric as well," I ordered, flinging off my cape and putting my feet up. The man scurried away like a mouse as Titania lingered near her cupboard, finding something comfortable to wear before changing for the evening.

It was still a lazy afternoon. The wedding had been a few hours ago, the coronation was a few hours later. The morning had been both dramatic and solemn, now I only hoped Edwina or Tristan did not put up a fight at their coronation.

I leaned back, watching my wife and sister, Titania, shimmy her royal dress down to her hips. She stepped out of it, naked save for her underwear. I looked at the curve of her hips bemusedly. The sight of my lovely wife would have once stirred passions in me, but those affections were long forgotten, the fires long doused.

I had loved her with all my heart, once. I truly had loved Titania. But then, we were immortal. I could not count how many thousands of years we had been alive and together, my Queen and I.

Boredom got hold of both of us, seeking us to seek other lovers.

Every god had the same chapter in their life.

I had long learned to accept it, as had her. Being alive so long, immortality was now a curse. And we both yearned to break free of its prison. Hence our wish to leave Endollon, reincarnate in the mortal world, and leave behind three new Monarchs in our place.

I could not wait to escape this body of a god. I had had enough.

"Something bothering you?" she asked with a cocky grin, surveying her closet and picking out a black dress.

"I see Eros finally charmed his way past your underwear," I observed, moving past her. I took the dress from her hands and held it open for her as she stepped into it delicately, drawing it up.

"He's quite good with his tongue, you know?" Titania muttered, doing the laces, unabashed.

"Turn around," I ordered, and she did so, as I tied the strings at her back. She watched herself in the mirror as I concentrated on knotting the laces, her ocean blue eyes excited and bright.

"And quite... ah, reaches all the right places, that Eros," she added thoughtfully.

"I know."

"Seriously - you too?" she asked, surprised. I gave Titania a grin of my own, and she plopped herself right on top of me, curious as a cat.

"You're not the only one who has lain with the god of love, my love," I said with a chuckle.

"I know," she giggled. "He is quite good with his tongue, isn't he?"