Chapter 18 (Real Chapter)

My head was pounding with agonizing pain when I woke up. This was kind of bizarre. I had no idea where I was. I had an IV connected to my arm, I was wearing a hideous hospital gown, and I was utterly confused. Everything that had happened last night right now seemed like a complete blur. I just remembered moving into my new apartment, and now I’m here.

“Tessa sweetheart, are you all right? I’m glad that you had finally woken up. You gave us a real scare last night. How are you feeling?” I turned my attention towards the nurse that entered my room. She had a bright smile on her face that could light up the whole room, but nothing could cure the numbness I feel.

I wanted to tell her how exhausted I was, even in my dreams I feel tired. Instead I replied with a, “I’m fine. Can you tell me what happened? I’m just a little bit confused.”

“You had an overdose sweetheart, your brother found you on the ground when he came home.” I stared at her in shock at first, but then I it hit me. The painkillers that I took last night, I’m pretty sure I took all of the pills that were in the bottle. A part of me wanted to mentally slap myself in the face, but the other part of me could have cared less.

Pathetic I know.

“Hello Tessa Queens, I’m Dr. Haydens. I’ll be asking a couple of questions in order to give you a proper diagnosis.” I wasn’t like I was able to say no so I redundantly agreed. All I wanted to do was to just go home and go to sleep.

“Was last night the first time?” He began to ask. First time. What did he mean? Oh. Great. So this was the direction that we were going to be going in. We’re going to be talking about my feelings.

“Last night was the last night, and I don’t intend on ever do that again. I was just being stupid.” I replied, hoping that was the answer that he wanted to hear. I didn’t know what he was writing down, whether it was good or bad, he just had a straight face on.

“Your brother had already filled me in with details from your childhood. I was wondering, did your mother ever take you to therapy after that incident?”

After the accident all I did was take some pills that the doctor gave me. My mom didn’t want me to think about the incident anymore and decided that therapy was a waste of time. I remember her telling me that she didn’t want to involve outsiders into our problems. With time going by, eventually I would get over the situation she said.

“No. Although I did take some anti-depressants for a month.” I told him, before fixing my posture so I was no longer slouching.

“Do you ever still look back at the incident?” Sometimes, I guess. Sometimes those images replay in my head all over again. I have dreams about it. I see it all the time in my head. It was like replaying a movie that keeps on replaying. I stayed silent for a bit. He just kept on staring back at me. I didn’t know what to say. What was the right thing to say? How I felt, or what I thought what the doctor wanted to hear? Or what everyone else wanted to hear?

“Never, it’s like that incident never occurred.” When he heard me say that, he looked up and just kept on staring. It looked like he knew that I was lying. He eventually scribbled something down on his clipboard before returning his attention back to me.

“I think that’s enough for today. Your brother is outside waiting, I’ll send him in for you.” I sighed in relief knowing that someone I knew was going to be here. I wonder what had been going through Drake’s mind this whole entire time. I must have scared him shitless. When Drake entered the room, he pulled me into a hug and started sniffling.

“Are you crying Drake?” I asked.

“Fuck yes. You idiot, I almost had a heart attack yesterday. I literally almost fainted seeing you so lifeless on the floor. I almost died because of you Tessa.” I laughed at his comment and hugged him even tighter. I was glad that he was here for me.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean too. I was being silly and overreacted,” I mumbled, “I bet mom must be scared to death. I hope I didn’t cause her too much trouble by flying all the way here.”

Drake gave me this look, before releasing a long dreading sigh. “She isn’t going to come to visit you until another three weeks like planned before. She was going to come tomorrow, but when I called her to tell her that they revived you she canceled her flight. She has this huge meeting, if she does well then she’ll get a promotion. She sent you a basket and promised to call you tonight.”

Awkward silence.

“That’s cool, I mean she has her own life and everything.” I quietly said, “But at least your here right?” I said, trying to lighten up the mood.

“Let’s not talk about mom. Let’s talk about how of an amazing brother I am!” I raised my eyebrow at his reply. I mean sure my brother had a huge ego, but was this really the time to talk about how awesome he is. Can’t lie though, he’s pretty awesome as much as I hate to admit it.

“Totally awesome. So awesome that in the seventh grade your friend Carter dyed your hair pink in your sleep.” He let out a loud groan. He hated when I brought up that incident. It took him weeks to get the pink out of hair. Well that what he got for drawing a penis on Carter’s face in permanent marker.

“I’m so awesome that your present is waiting outside for you. Let me go get it.” He got up from his seat and left. I was waiting patiently for him to return. But as ten minutes had passed, I was starting to wonder whether he was going to return or not. Was my own brother standing me up?

“Hey, Tessa.” A voice said awkwardly.  

No. Fucking. Way.

“Keaton?” I said in disbelief. He was standing there right beside my brother. Standing there looking all perfect with his plaid shirt all neatly ironed. I had to be dreaming.

I was really happy to see him here. Seeing him here made me stupidly smiled. I can’t believe he came all the way here. I was still in shock, but I was extremely thankful.

“Sorry we took a while Tessa,” my brother said. “Keaton here got all nervous. You know he spent three hours on the plane and another two hours here practicing his speech that he wrote for you. I swear to God, he looked like he wanted to puke before coming in here.” I noticed the papers in his hands, and how his hands were shaking a bit.

“Come seat Keaton.” I smiled at him. When he sat down in the seat next to the bed, he really looked like he was going to be sick. It was kind of funny and cute to see how nervous he was. I just smiled at him waiting for him to speak up.

“S-So.” He began, while running his fingers through his hair.

“Just read what you wrote on the God damn paper Collins. Visiting hours are going to be over soon, so you better hurry up.” My brother said. I wanted to burst out into laughter, but I didn’t want to make Keaton any more nervous than he already was. He began clearing his throat, many one too many times.

“Screw my speech. I missed you so fucking much Tessa.”

I knew he cared.

Note: Hey guys, this story is coming to the end soon. Within the next 2-5 chapters. Once I finish this book, I'll be doing a FAQ. You can ask me questions about the book, ask Keaton a question E.T.C. So ask away!

I've already started a new book. Please check that out, I would love to see your feedback. It isn't a sequel, or a spinoff of LKN13. It's a completely fresh and new idea of mines. I hope you will love that book as much as you love this one.  It's called Rooftop Boy

Summary:

"What if I died tomorrow," he whispered into my ear. "Then I'll miss you forever like the stars miss the sun in the morning skies," I replied.