Chapter Twenty

Sang

Sang

Something forbidden welled up deep within me. An endless spiral of darkness took up in the deepest pits of my soul, taking and taking until the light was about to be swallowed up forever. It was magical and sweet. Blissful and utterly addictive.

Darkness shouldn't taste so gratifying. It should have left a burning sensation on my tongue, yet I found myself wanting to relish in it.

What terrified me the most was feeling mine and Gideon's bond singing in glee when it was unlocked. We weren't just dragon and rider. We were The Dragon and Rider. Our connection amplified in multiples and it was the most glorious feeling in all the kingdoms.

At that moment, hearing the storm raging from above, I knew I was a goner. I could have swallowed up the entire village out of spite alone. To make it infinitely worse, I would have done it with a manic grin on my face. The only thing that brought me out of the power induced high was the pleading from my family and friends. North. Henry. Owen. Janice.

As I stared at the two people who made my life a lie, the warmth of Gideon's enraged breaths connecting with my back, all I could feel was that terrifyingly sweet darkness watching and waiting.  

"Little One," a deep voice said. Images of churned bodies and bloodied fangs flooded our bond, and instead of being afraid, I watched in cold detachment. 

"Gideon." My voice was faint.

"This can't be real," the man I used to call my father said as he wiped a bead of sweat from his paling forehead. His wife shook like a leaf beside him, all traces of intoxication gone.

"He wish," Gideon let out a snarl, both out loud and inside my head. The couple shrinked back. I looked at the others silently, watching as Gabriel and Luke also inched away. Looking hesitant, North took up stance on one side of me, while a smirking Jay took up the other.

I ignored Gideon's affronted snarl. He didn't want those pests protecting me because I was his and his only to protect.

"Who are you?" I asked in bitter quietness once I turned my attention back to the couple. "You've been outed already and have nothing else to lose. If you lie, I have a perfectly capable dragon who's more than ready for his next meal."

The woman narrowed her eyes at me. Gone was the terrified coward, in her place stood the arrogant and deranged person who ruined my life. "Don't speak to us like that, girl. We may not be your blood but we're still your parents."

"Gideon," I called tauntingly. North's shoulder brushed against mine as he tensed. Gideon's figure loomed over our heads and I could tell that it was taking all of the grumpy rider's courage to not back away. 

"That thing doesn't answer to you," she snarled, making Gideon rear back.

"Thing?" Gideon's voice tasted the word, like he couldn't believe it was coming from the human's mouth. "Thing?" He asked again, his consciousness poking mine.