Chapter Fourteen

She became aware of his presence in the room immediately.  Through the drug's after effects she struggled to sit up on the bed, trembling.   Careful to keep her eyes down cast she said through cotton dry mouth, "Hello Sir" ; the words almost gagging her as she forced them out.  She was utterly at this madman's whim, and until she figured a way out, she had to play his twisted game. 

He nodded his head, well pleased.  She was already learning to be good, he thought.  It wouldn't be too long before she could join him and then, together, they would be unstoppable.   Eyes flicking over to the table he noted she'd eaten and had her apple juice as he'd demanded.   And then his gaze rested on the book, in a heap on the floor.  Frowning he looked at the girl and said, "Brianna, look at me.   Why is the book I gave you on the ground?  It looks as if you threw it there.  Choose your words carefully my dear. "

The threat in his tone was unmistakable as Brianna forced herself to look up at him.  Stern dark eyes looked piercingly at her.   Trying to find her voice under the blazing stare she failed, whimpering like the trapped animal she was.     He simply shook his head and strode from the room, locks snicking into place behind him.   Oh God, she thought, what now?   What would he put her through for tossing that damned book on the floor?    Rising from the bed she retreated to the bathroom, although there was little comfort in seeking shelter in here, there was no lock on the door.  

Leaning against the cold porcelain sink she listened for his return.  Because, she already knew, he would return and when he did, she would face punishment for what he'd considered a transgression.   She cupped her hands under the faucet, collecting water in her hands.  Gulping the cold wetness down to soothe her dry throat she shivered as Gareth spoke through the door.  "Brianna come out at once.  You are allowed to keep your eyes up, just this once"

Jumping at his voice in surprise she hurried to follow his directive.   She hadn't even heard him come in, he was that quiet.  Shaking like a leaf in a summer thunderstorm she left the sanctuary of the small room and walked out, surprised to see he had brought a laptop in with him.   He beckoned to her to sit at the table and placed it in front of her.   Leaning over her he tapped in a few words and the local news channel sprang to life.  

"It occurs to me," he purred smoothly, voice near to her ear, "That you do not really yet understand the magnitude of your situation, nor what continued disobedience will lead you to." Using the keyboard deftly he searched for the story he wanted and selected play on the video.  Brianna was cornered by him in the chair, as he leaned down and watched her face.   Looking at the story she realized he had queued up a headline article about the Phantom Killer.   Young women's faces flashed in front of her alarmed eyes on the screen, one after another, after another.  Each one bore a resemblance to her in someway and each one had been found murdered in surrounding towns.       Horror the likes of which she had never imagined coursed through her  and she paled.     Barely over the last drugging the dizziness   returned with a vengeance.    Struggling to breathe she raised startled eyes to his.   

It was so much worse than she could ever have feared.  This man, Gareth, was the Phantom Killer.   She was a pawn to his wicked games of cat and mouse, and soon she was bound to draw the lion's ire enough to result in her being the next victim.   Terror filled her, she shook uncontrollably.  How could she survive this smooth talking manipulator who controlled her existence?    

He smiled, his brilliant white teeth looking predatory as he smoothly said, "We'll have no more disobedience, now will we Brianna, my dear?"     He reached out, picked up the laptop and clicked it shut.   Pointing to the book he told her "I expect that to be read every day, and I expect you to follow the behavior outlined precisely."  

With that he left her alone, to digest the information she had just learned.   There would be further insubordination, he mused, but the training he would instill would make her the companion he needed to further his future plans.    Grinning  he locked the door and headed down to his bedroom, deep in his thoughts. 

Brianna snatched the book off the floor and stared at the door, heart pounding.   The tears she'd been holding fell unchecked and she curled onto her bed.   How could she endure this?  She was held captive by not just a madman, but a  murderer who was using her for his  whims.  How she longed to be home, safe, how she longed to have never set eyes on Gareth Viscardi....