Chapter 44

Table flippers get ready XD

Warnings: mentions of gore/blood, mentions of death, violence

~Jerome's P.O.V.~

"Ok so, let me get this straight." Preston begins. "You killed Jasper, one of the top six mages in the ENTIRE world, with a stick?"
"Well yea, I guess." Lachlan mumbles, rubbing the back of his neck. "But it was enchanted with who knows what, and it was literally do or die. It feels bad man. Xenos was super upset."
Rob nods solemnly. "I can imagine. Xenos and Jasper grew up together, so they were really close. But I understand you had to do it, because it sounds like Jasper was seconds away from killing you there."
Lachlan shivers, rubbing at his palms. "Don't remind me. The only thing stopping his sword from slicing my throat was my bare hands, and the blade cut right down to the bones, too."

A heavy silence then falls on all of us, no one really sure what to say. We're still all sitting at the river, sharing our sides of the challenge. Mitch and I are still kinda embarrassed about how we got caught so easily. It's not like me, and it's certainty not like Mitch to be slacking off like that. If they were trying to actually kill us, we would have had no chance. And so, it's with that thought that an idea forms in my head.

"Hey guys I have an idea."
Vikk looks up at me. "Let's hear it."
"I'm not sure if you guys have noticed it, but recently it seems we've been losing our edge. For example Mitch and I were actually caught slacking off, and could barley even defend ourselves. Usually we'd be on high alert, and we probs lay could've stopped most if not all of them."
Mitch tilts his head. "You're right. So what are you trying to get at?"
A ghost of a smile touches my lips. "How about we have a little training session? Nothing big, just a couple one on one matches. It's been a while since we've all practiced, and who knows, it might give us that extra edge when Preston challenges the Rouge kingdom."
"I'm game." Preston declares, everyone else voicing their agreements.
"Where should we do it?" Rob inquires.
"I was gonna say 'Right here right now.', but it's getting pretty late, and I don't wanna be stuck out here with a bunch of mobs. So how about we build a temporary shelter for tonight, rest up, and then spar in the morning?" I suggest, nodding towards the steadily sinking sun.
"Sure."
"Fine by me."
"Sounds good."
"Good idea."
"Yeah, sure."

Everyone agrees at once.

"Alright, let's get to it then."

~~~

     ~3rd P.O.V.~

      The moon hasn't even reached its peak when Jerome awakes suddenly, eyes snapping open as he sits up quickly in bed. He swears to himself we heard something outside, and breathes quietly, straining to pick up on the noise again, eyes scanning the room carefully. Preston is snoring lightly, the blanket draped over him concealing most of his warm glow. Rob is hugging his pillow tightly, legs slightly tucked in, movements under his eyelids indicating he's dreaming. Lachlan is sprawled out on his back, one leg hanging off the bed, a small trail of drool dripping from his mouth, ever so slightly gaping open. Vikk is lying on his stomach, face nuzzled into his pillow, breathing muffled. Mitch is on his side, eyes shut peacefully, a ghost of a smile on his lips as his chest rises and falls steadily. He hears the rustle again, coming from us outside their small wooden hut. So if they're all in here... Then who's outside?

     It's probably an animal. Jerome tries to reason, slipping back under his covers. But even still, Jerome keeps his eyes open, gazing blankly at the wall opposing him, listening closely to any sounds other than Preston's soft snoring.