twenty seven

LEA FEELS HER heart implode inside her chest

Water drips down her dress that touches her skin to give an uneasy feeling on her legs but everything is easily ignorable with Alec - Alec Hawthorne - standing, breathing in front of her.

She watches the dark color surrounding his eyes, his nose pink due to the cold and his jaw slightly dropped in surprise. His brown hair is disheveled and messy and he's wearing a black shirt that hugs his chest all in the right places. He isn't just beautiful, he's breathtakingly beautiful, overshadowing every single fantasy she's had about him and she wonders for the millionth time what she did to deserve to know a person like him. Him.

Instantly, she throws her arms around his neck without uttering a single word, feeling his heart beat faster against her chest. She hopes he doesn't mind the wet material on his skin and pulls him closer to her such that he buries his neck into her shoulder.

She feels his hard chest on hers and it drives her crazy. Old tears that sting on his shirt touches her skin warmly. They stay like that for a while, confined in the silence of the rain and the faint smell of the breeze and neither of them try to make an attempt to say a word to break the silence.

It is only after a few minutes, she realizes that he doesn't reciprocate the gesture of her hug by wrapping his arms around her body and for a second, it almost bothers her. She lifts her head up to meet his face staring into her eyes with a wave of sadness and sorrow tugging at his shoulders.

She forces a smile on her lips and opens her mouth to say, "Alec, hi. It's me, Lea."

His mouth widens as he processes her words but the features on his face still look tensed, just the same like before like he isn't happy with what she said. Like he isn't happy that she is with him. Standing in front of him.

"Say something, Alec," she makes her plea softly, her arms still hugging his waist and she eventually removes her hold from him realizing that he hasn't made an attempt to welcome her but she doesn't feel disappointed. "Can I come in? I feel cold."

"Shit," he mutters. "I'm so sorry," he nods his head in embarrassment. "Come in, Lea."

Knots form low in her tummy at the entry of his voice into her ears. He sounds groggy with a trace of a cold and sleep lacing it but it sounds deep and sad.

He gestures her to walk into the house and a soft smell of vanilla fills the air. She follows him into the living room, watching his body walk in front of her and a sense of nervousness floods through her body for two distinct reasons but for some reason, they don't look so distinct anymore.

She watches him sit on the couch, watching her sit beside her. Feeling the soft material of the couch on her skin, she looks at him looking at her with a null expression on his face. "You haven't said anything since I came here," she blurts, breaking their silence.