I - Carter

The floor vibrated along with the beat of the drum, while I gloomily stared at my cup of water. My brother Jack had insisted he felt "irresponsible if my younger sister consumed alcohol while I'm in charge," which I totally agreed with, if it wasn't for him throwing a party while our parents were on a trip in the first place.

Believe me I wouldn't even be here if it wasn't for my best friend Lexi, who is absolutely crazy crushing on my brother. She doesn't like admitting it, but I've known her since we were six, and I was at the point where I could tell wether she's had breakfast or not.

And my brother liked her too. I could tell by the way he looks at her whenever she walks in the room, or how he perks up when I mention her name. But both of them are just so stubborn, my brother Jack claiming he's a player, and therefor he doesn't get feelings for anyone, and Lexi claiming she's out of his league. But they're both crazy for each other and everyone knows it.

So here I was, in the stupid black dress Lexi made me wear, with the cup of water. I knew that I definitely wouldn't make the night without the buzz of alcohol, and since I couldn't spot my brother anywhere I decided to get myself a real drink. My kitchen was filled with kids from my school and who knows from where else, and I walked to where they'd stored the drinks in the cool-box. From the fridge I got out some of my half empty gatorade, and I filled it with vodka.

"Easy there." I heard from behind me, and I nearly dropped the glass of Absolut.

Whipping around, I saw Carter, my crush, right behind me, looking cuter as ever with a black V-neck shirt hugging his figure, adorned with a red flannel. His hair was ruffled, and for the night he didn't wear his usual snapback or sun glasses. He looked adorable.

"Oh. Carter. Hey," I said breathlessly, feeling my cheeks flushing. "What's up?"

He smiled a smile where his lips leaned more to his left cheek than his right, his eyes crinkling.

"Not much, just getting a drink, actually." He was staring at my half gatorade half vodka bottle, eyebrows knitting together, his smile still on his lips. "Is that vodka and gatorade?"

I looked at the bottle he was referring to and laughed.

"Yes it is! Have you never tried it before?"

He shook his head, and I handed him my bottle.

"Go ahead, try it." I urged him, as he stared at it, unsure wether to try it or not.

My skin heated up at the thought of us drinking from the same bottle, waiting anxiously as he brought the drink to his lips, taking a bigger gulp than I'd thought, and handed it back before scrunching his face.

"That's allot of alcohol you got in there." He stated, his face still scrunching.

I smiled at him, before taking a long gulp from the bottle, oddly feeling his lips where mine were on the rim. It felt like fire burning downwards, making my already heated skin warmer as I enjoyed the taste.

"Not really," I concluded, before noticing he was watching me with admiration.

My cheeks heated up, and he smirked before excusing himself to get a cherry vodka.

In his absence my mind drifted off to Lexi. Such a sly dog. First she forced me to attend this party just so she could hook up with you-know-who and then second she abandons me without so much as offering me a drink.

I wasn't complaining since I was accompanied by Carter Reynolds after all, but the least she could've done was tell me what she was planning to do. I figured she was either with my brother doing the unthinkable, or she was dancing around with some other random.

Who was she to blame, though. She was everything I wanted to be. Gorgeous, confident, sexy, hard to get. I on the other hand was anything but. I was socially awkward and annoying. My dull hair never going the way I wanted it to. And me trying to flirt was just embarrassing. In a way we equaled each other out. I'd keep her in control when she'd be too wild. And she'd help me have fun and get out of my little shell when I needed it.

"Damn, you're already halfway through?" Carter asked in surprise and amazement when he had returned, eyes widening. Jesus, he was like a ninja, appearing out of thin air constantly.

Then I progressed his words. Oh. I hadn't even noticed. I warily nodded, taking one more small sip before putting it all the way in the back of the fridge.

"Wanna go outside?" He said after he downed his drink in one shot.

"Okay." I muttered with a smile I couldn't hold back, and he mimicked my smile, taking my hand and leading me outside to the back.

The little alcohol I consumed clouded the fact he was holding my hand as I focused hard on not tripping over my own feet, giggling at myself. I felt the cool fresh air all around me suddenly, as Carter had opened the garden door, closing it behind him.

About a dozen people were lingering around the pool, the music barely but still audible. I saw Jack Gilinsky, my brothers best friend who practically lived at our house, talking to Sam Wilkinson, another one of their friends, and two other short blonde girls in their bikini's.

I frowned, staring at the two girls, when his eyes caught mine. His eyes darkened as he shamelessly scanned me from top to toe, admiring Lexi's dress before he took Carter in, who was dragging me with him. His eyebrows knitted together. Was he mad?

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion before turning back to Carter who had apparently found his stop. What was that about?

He stopped under a parasol on one of the lounging chairs, parallel to Jack and Sam. Great. He sat down on the lounger that faced Jack, patting the pillow next to him to indicate that I should sit there.

I shyly smiled, feeling that Lexi's too short dress had ridden too high that it almost reached my ass, so I tugged it lower so it came mid-thigh before sitting down next to him.

"You know, Julia," He started, my eyes averting as he tried to make contact. "I've been meaning to ask you if you wanted to, uh... go out sometime?"

Wait. Hold on. Was he... was Carter, my crush, asking me out?! My eyes caught his insisting gaze, and I blushed furiously. Yes! Ofcourse! But I couldn't find my voice. So instead a grin that almost split my face in half showed up as I nodded.

"Great!" He exclaimed with a grin, and I shook my head, laughing nervously. Was this really happening? "I'm gonna get us a drink. Would you like anything?"

I bit my lip. "You don't have to get me anything..."

"I insist." He got up from his seated position.

I sighed, smiling. "Whatever you're getting." I said eventually, still thinking I had my head in the clouds. If this was a dream, I didn't want to wake up.

------------

A/N

hi pls leave a vote