capítulo número treinta y cinco ; el futuro

Au Pair

All Rights Reserved

© 2017 Luna Black

~*~

A week later, I was discharged.

Thankfully, Luca didn't talk much about the two weeks we were separated. Quite frankly, I didn't want to be reminded of it whilst I was awake.

My nightmares consisted of Ulysses and his methods to try and torment me. I swore during the beatings that he wouldn't break me. That I was stronger than he gave me credit for, but now that I didn't have to psych myself into wanting to survive, I realised that I was fücked up.

The little that I had managed to salvage from the beatings my mom had given me, seemed to break a little. My resilience slowly shattered and now I was left with an empty hollow, trying to smile and reassure everyone around me that I was okay.

Knowing that I was on my way home with the people I loved, helped to relief my worried mind. Every night, the lights had to remain on. If I woke up, alone, in the darkness, I'd have a really bad panic attack.

Luca had experienced them twice. The first time, he had gone outside the room to answer an important phone call and my body decided to wake up at that exact moment.

It felt like I was back in the cell, but this time without Alexia to keep me sane. I was alone and freaking out as I waited for Ulysses to enter the room and beat me senseless.

The second time, he had left the room to get something to eat. I felt terrible that I interrupted him with all the panic attacks, but it was like my body realised when I was alone. It was one of the worst things that could happen to my sanity.

I didn't like that I couldn't be alone in the darkness, but my pride didn't have any energy left to intervene and make my esteem feel even worse.

On the flight back to New York, Mrs. Maggie entertained us with stories about her past with Noah. Most of them I had heard, but I didn't mind listening to them all over again because they kept me distracted.

For a short moment, it was like everything had gone back to normal. Like I hadn't been used as a punching bag for some asshole and my family hadn't traded me in to pay off their stupid debt.

The doctor assured me that my organs were fine. Most of my pain was just major bruising and that all I needed was a lot of bed rest.

I was healthy physically, but mentally that was a whole different thing.

I forced a smile, though. I answered the questions that wouldn't make me seem crazy or broken.

That was another thing my mother had taught me well. I should've been an actress with the amount of acting I did through high school or even a makeup artist with all the makeup I blended to hide the bruises.

Our first stop in New York was Mrs. Maggie's home. We stayed for a little while, just making sure that she was okay and then went back to Luca's apartment.

He carried me out of the car, up the stairs and into the apartment. He was gentle and careful, doing his best to take care of me.

In any other occasion, I would have been upset that he seemed so worried of me falling apart in his hands, but I understood his worries. And I understood that he just wanted to care for me, so I didn't put up a fight or let it bother me so much.

He sat me down on the couch and walked over to the kitchen. "Do you want anything to drink?"

I turned my head back to look at him and nodded. "I have to drink my pills now, so a glass of water would be nice."