29 | Deluded

Chapter 29: Deluded

I think there's some sexual tension between Luke and me.  Am I crazy to say that?

Why else would I feel like I'm electrocuted every time he touches me?

Why else would we joke about having sex?  

Why else would we find excuses to hang out? 

I tried to get Luke out of my head. It wasn't productive. I had classes to attend, my part-time job at the clothing store and...

That's it.

I didn't have much else going on to be honest.

"What's your name?" the barista asked me.

There I was, in the Coffee Bean by the mall, at the front of the line. Matt stood opposite the counter with his brown apron, a name tag and the ever-powerful sharpie.

I folded my arms across my chest. "Seriously? I come here almost every day Matt. You go to my school. We swapped lockers in middle school."

Not to mention, you're dating my sister.

He looked at me funny. "Do you think we're friends or something?"

I glared, "Sure. Put that on my drink: Deluded."

He shrugged, and did.

So I took my 'deluded' caramel macchiato and walked across the parking lot to my car.  

Just another Monday.  

**

"Hey boo," Julia greeted me by my locker, "Sorry I wasn't able to hang.  The girls and I are so busy with back to school rituals."

She makes it sound like she's been a part of their gang all year.

"No worries. I'm sure it's been fun," I said, happy for her.

"It is. I promise I'll join you on the couch soon.  You've probably been through a lot of TV shows, huh?"

"Less than you'd think," I answered truthfully, swinging my backpack onto my shoulder.

Life with Luke has kept things... interesting.

"Well we should def catch up. I can't believe I haven't asked you about summer yet. Are you still down to tutor me in calc?"

"Of course.  Let me know whenever you're free," I smiled at her as the bell rang.

I was excited that Julia wanted to hang out. I missed my friend to be honest. She was trying so hard to be a part of the LUCKY group. It seemed like a full-time commitment.

But at least I was keeping busy... well, Luke was keeping me busy.  I was slowly working off the cost of his laptop, one painful annoying request at a time. 

I was also about to start my after-school job at Lola Rae, a boutique women's clothing store. I went over there at lunch time to get a training session in. The store assistant wanted to show me how to use the cash register before I started work. 

Julia texted me: The girls didn't invite me to lunch today. Where on the bleachers are you?

I quickly texted back, Sorry I'm not at school.

I didn't mean to sound mysterious, but I was already late to my first appointment so I hustled to get there in time.  The boutique was small and filled with gorgeous, stylish outfits.  

The store assistant showed me the security cameras and said that if I had any on-the-job questions, there was a white landline phone I could use.  She talked me through punctuality, closing shop and the returns policy.  Then she spent the rest of the time showing me how to log inventory and use the cash register.