Chapter 4

Christmas break is over and I'm just sitting in third period alone. Everyone else is talking since the teacher let us have a free day, and so they are using it to an advantage. Me? I'm over by the door, alone, trying not to overthing shit again.

I couldn't stop thinking about what happened before break started. But it's a brand new year, so I want to restart and try not to let the depression get to me. Although it's a new year, and everyone claims they're going to change for their 'new years resolutions,' but I dont believe that for a minute.

Everyone is gone back to the same exact people, acting the same as last year. Nothing has changed. Nothing will change.

Life is just a continuous cycle of joy, sadness, and everything in between. Exept me, all I experience is sadness,anger, hunger, and thirst. No joy. No cheerfulness. Nothing.

"Ellie?"

I jumped. I wasn't expecting someone to say my name. I looked up to see Max. Of course, because no one else would talk to me besides him.

"You okay?"

I nodded.

"Don't believe you."

I rolled my eyes. "What are you going to do about it?"

He grabbed my arm and slid the sleeve up, stared at it for a few seconds before sliding the sleeve back down. "Why?"

He knew. And now he has seen them. Theres nothing more I can do, I can't deny it.

"It's nothing."

"That's definitely not nothing. If you want to talk, you know I'm always here for you."

I felt my eyes starting to water, but I shook them away.

"Ew, Max, what are you doing still talking to that.... that wannabe?" The snobby girl still definitely hasn't changed.

"Roxi, you have no room to talk."

"What are you talking about? She's the one who thinks they're all that just because she has a YouTube. I am all that."

"You need to watch your manners. You have no idea what she's going through. And if you don't stop, I'm going to have to-"

"Have to what, pretty boy."

I haven't seen Max this way before. He got up and shoved the girl into her "friends."

"What is your issue?" Roxi demanded.

"You are my problem. You don't know what goes on in other people's lives so you have no room to talk about what they are like!" Now he was yelling.

The teacher just looked up, and went back to swiping through her phone. The teacher wasn't going to do anything?!

"Max, stop this nonsense!" I got up and yelled.

"You better listen to your girlfriend, or you'll be sorry."

"He'll be sorry?" I yelled. I had one hand in a fist, and the other ready to reach in my bag to put the blade in my pocket. What? I never promised that I wouldn't carry it with me. "You're the one that will be sorry when I-" Max stopped me. He knows I don't like talking about my issue, but he also doesn't want everyone to know either, because then I'll get picked on even more.

"You what?"

"Go. To. Hell." Was all I ended with.

Before I could sit down, Roxi punched me in the face. I tried and pulled all guts to not scream right then and there. I busted out of the classroom and headed somewhere where no one would find me.

I heard footsteps behind me. Only one person would chase after me: Max.

"There's nothing you can say this time to stop me, Max."

But that didn't stop him. He grabbed my shoulder to whip me around he kissed me. Right then and there, I went brain dumb. I didn't know how to react, all I did was let it happen.

Stomp stomp.

That didn't take much for Max to stop and act like nothing happened, though I could sense that he didn't want to stop.

"Hey, uh." It was Sara. Another classmate that doesn't fit in with much, but still had plenty of friends outside of out classes. "I was told to find you and say that you're wanted in the office."

I froze in fear. I never got in trouble before this, and I surely never was sent to the office for anything good or bad.

"Does it matter if I go with her?" Max asked.

"I don't know. You can if you want, but don't blame me if they don't allow you in with her." Sara then nodded and walked away. She was always a good, quiet kid. Why couldn't I be more like her?

I sighed and slowly headed to the office, Max by my side. "I'm sorry if I got you in trouble."

"It's not your fault, it's mine. I should have just kept my big mouth shut."

"You were in the right, sort of."

"How?"

"Well you didn't lay a hand on her, she punched you."

"But you shoved her."

"Not the point." He paused. "The point is..."

"Is what?"

"Oh sorry, somehow my mind trailed off onto ducks."

What? That's the most random, yet funny thing ever.

We then reached the door to the office and there stood the principal, arms crossed and glaring at the door, as if he knew we going to be there right then and there.

"Ellie, please come in- oh, Max, hello."

"May I come in as well?" He asked.

"Uh, hum, uh yeah." He surely wasn't expecting that.

We walk into the principal's office and sit down.

"Do you know why you're here?"

"N- not really. I've never been called here before for anything."

"I've been told that you and another girl, Roxi? Gotten into a fight."

"Well, its more like we argued and she punched me in the face."

Max nodded along. The principal must have known that Max was a good kid, and wouldn't hang out with anyone otherwise.

"I can see that, and it hasn't appeared to me that you layed a hand on her. But perhaps maybe you said something to cause her to do that?"

I sure hope he wasnt taking Roxi's side. "I might have." I mumbled a little.

He just sat there for a moment and thought. "Well since you admitted to doing so, and you didn't physically do anything, I will let you go with a warning."

"And Roxi?"

"She will have suspension for a few days."

She much have claimed to not have layed a hand on me and lied about the situation.

"Tell her I would like to see her before the end of the day."

I nodded and headed out.

"One more thing."

I hope he didn't notice my wrists.

"You should wear more than long sleeves. You're very pretty, and you should show it off."

Oh great, a pedophile.

I nodded and quickly left.

"You should've said 'sorry I have a boyfriend.'"

I laughed. "I do?" I said sarcastically.

He then kissed my cheek and we walked back to class.

I just couldn't wait for that day to be over. I honestly wanted to just beat up Roxi, but I'm kind of glad I didn't.

I hope I just have a better rest of the school year.