20

Adora

"That was pretty intense yesterday."

I raised my eyebrows at Lan. Bren furrowed her brows together, holding her fork up to me. "What was intense yesterday?"

"Nothing-"

"Adora got in a really intense argument with her boss."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, my chin falling into the palm of my hand as soon as I figured out I'd have to spill all the details.

"Oh, God, this is going to be good."

Brenna braced her elbows on the table, her hands placed in front of her smiling mouth.

I furrowed my brows, letting out a breath. "It really wasn't anything-"

"Except it was," Lan deadpanned, "come on, Adds, it helps if you talk about it."

Bren giggled and I rolled my eyes, shaking my head. "He's just difficult to work with."

Brenna shrugged. "At least he's easy to look at. Might be hard to work with, but easy to look at."

I reached over and slapped her arm, making her laugh. "Okay, I want the details. Don't shit me. No shitting me, okay?"

"I'll keep her backed up since I was there for it all."

"He's just, he's weird. One day, he acts like he despises me, the next day, he acts like he appreciates me, and then yesterday, he told me I was trying too hard."

"All truth, so far."

"What?" Bren exclaimed, "how could you try too hard?"

"Exactly! He was like, well, you don't need to try so hard to be their mother. They have one. But she's never around? So I'm obligated to act like their mother?"

"Totally agreed." Brenna nodded, her eyebrows furrowed together. I just sighed, placing my fork on my napkin.

"I just don't get what the problem is with us. We can't work together, we've tried."

"Well, nothing's impossible. If I were you, I would find a way to work with him, he's plopping a lot of money in your bank account," Landon added.

"Lan, you were there yesterday. You watched it happen. And I don't want to get along with someone because of their money, I want to actually get along with someone."

"I think you should give him a piece of your mind," Bren suggested, "the man is probably dying for someone to put him in his place."

"Then I'd get fired, and I don't need that right now."

Lan nodded. "Totally agreed."

We both looked at Bren, whose eyebrows were furrowed together as she looked at me.

"Maybe it's a test," she blurted, "maybe he's being so difficult to see if you'll do anything about it."

"Cute idea, Bren, but those things don't actually happen," Lan said, "Mr. King might be sex on legs, but I'll have to agree with her, the man is kind of difficult and I think it's just in his nature."

"I couldn't have said it better," I said, folding my arms on the table.

"Well, I still think you should go tell him how you're feeling. Throw on a sexy businesswoman outfit and you're set. What man can resist a pencil skirt and a bod like yours?"

"Brenna, no," I said, "and even if it was a rational idea, I don't have a pencil skirt."

She shot me a naughty smile. "You know who does?"