Chapter Forty

Sitting next to Drew in Maths wasn't helping Rob. He kept focusing on the back of Becky's head wondering what her answer was going to be. He was off in La La Land and wasn't listening to Mr. Campbell. A piece of chalk hit him on the arm. He jerked back on his seat. "Sir?"

"I'm assuming you know how to convert an explicit formula to a recursive formula, Rob." Steve Campbell cocked his head waiting for an answer.

"Ah... no, sir. Sorry."

"I hope your attention's not where I think it is. If it is, you and I are going to come to blows." Steve peered at him. "You need to get back in the game, Rob, or you are going to fail this subject. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, sir."

"Come and see me after class. We need to talk."

Shit. Rob nodded. "Yes, sir."

Drew elbowed Rob when the teacher turned his back. He mouthed, "What's going on with you?"

Rob shrugged so Drew scribbled on a piece of paper. Campbell has a lot of pull. If you don't get your shit together he could have you kicked off the team.

Rob blew out his breath and nodded. He really had to focus on this class.

When the bell rang, Rob waited until everyone had left the room before standing in front of the teacher.

Steve sighed and screwed up his mouth. "What am I going to do with you, Rob?" He tilted his head and twisted his lips again. "You're one of my top students but you won't stay there if you keep this up." He tapped the desk with his pencil and added, "Should I have you transferred out of this class?"

"Ah... no, sir. I get it. Just had other stuff on my mind. Sorry I'll work harder. You're a good teacher. I don't want to change out of your class."

Steve clicked his pen in and out in thought. He opened his folder and pulled out two sheets of paper. "These are my lesson plans for the last week. I want you to take them and catch up. If I don't see an improvement with your concentration I will have you transferred out of this class."

Rob took the sheets and nodded. "Thanks, sir." He smiled and said, "Just so you know. It is better. My focus. Since I've moved. Just had a small relapse. Nothing to do with what we talked about. Other stuff." Rob shrugged and smirked again.

"Righto. Don't let it happen again, because I don't want to see you fail." Steve Campbell yanked his head. "Go on. Get out of here."

*****

Linc and Becky were already in the pool by the time Rob finished hockey training. He threw the water polo ball to Linc and jumped into the water. "I want you out of the pool this time, Linc."

"What? Why? Am I in trouble?"

"No." Rob laughed. "Different game today that's all. I want you to jump in from the edge. Give me the ball and out you get."

Linc swam to the edge and scrambled out.

Becky dog paddled towards Rob. "What about me? Where do you want me?"

"Where do I want you?" Rob beamed at her and watched her blush. "Nowhere yet." He looked back at Linc. "I want you to squat as low as you can. I'm going to the throw the ball. I want you to spring out towards it and try to catch it. Hold onto the block and squat a couple of times first. Just go slow and steady." Rob watched Linc struggle to get low. Maybe this was going to be too much. "How does that feel? If it's hurting don't go down as far. I just want to try and get this leg to stretch further."