Chapter 39: Answers.

Evelyn's POV

Nick looked at Riccardo and shook his head. And my newfound brother looked everywhere but me. Uh oh! Wrong question to ask at the wrong time.

Now sitting at the table next to Nick, with different varieties of mouthwatering dishes in front of me, I asked him. "What was the look that you gave my brother?"

"A look that said, 'I will tell her later myself.' Why?" He said and I shook my head as 'no' and continued to devour the food.

The entire time, I thought as to how I ended up in my mum and dad's hands. They were cruel, yes. Rude, mean, unfair and partial... but I still considered them as my parents. I only just ran away, but I never thought of hurting them.

Nick held my left hand bringing me out of my thoughts. "You're not having anything?" He asked.

I looked at my untouched plate. "I'm having..." I whispered back at him. Except for Raymond... as in my father. Everyone was happy looking at us, extremely happy with Nick since he was behaving like a more than a perfect husband. Raymond kept staring at him, every time I took a look at him, he glared at Nick. I guess it'll take him some more time to get adjusted to Nick.

Once we were done with the lunch, Nick and I got up to leave. "We should be leaving." Nick said first. I had never seen him this awkward ever before. He had some kind of authority or power over my parents, my fake parents, but here, with them.... I can say he is left with no other option and has to kind of respect them.

Serena suddenly became sad with tearful eyes.
"Genero!" Raymond pat Nick's shoulder and continued "why don't you stay for another night here... Serena will be getting operated tomorrow, and she will like it if she gets to see Evelyn." Nick looked at me with questioning eyes.

I already wanted to stay, this is my chance at getting to know them especially now that we have the DNA results to prove, and it was just my luck, that my father got to know my heart's wish. "As Evelyn says." he smiled at me, then nodded, agreeing to stay.

"Riccardo will be here... I'll have to take Serena to the doctor for a checkup, prior to the surgery you know." he said. "Make yourself comfortable." He came forward, then touched my head, like he was blessing me. With that, he left holding Serena who seemed really happy that we agreed to stay. But I was surprised, shocked even, as to how Nick agreed so easily?!

Riccardo left saying he'll be back with a surprise not before he showed us to a room that we'll be staying in. And I heard the silent message that they secretly conveyed to each other with their eyes. Nick needed some time alone with me... to talk?

"Are you trying to impress my parents?" I asked thinking about his good boy behaviour that he portrayed in front of them.

"No... I don't have to. They're already impressed.... but your father will get there. Soon." He replied winking at me with mischief. I playfully got up to hit his arm, but he held it and pulled me upon him, making me sit on his lap comfortably.

"Sorry...?" He asked kissing my shoulder.

"For what?" I turned away from him. I really agree too easily. He convinces me soo well.

"For ignoring you.... for being an ass."

"You got thaaat right!" I murmured, which he heard, obviously.
"Can you take me to bed. I'm tired." I said with puppy dog eyes.

He nodded and picked me in his arms effortlessly before he deposited me on bed really carefully. "You're tired? Isn't it like... not healthy? Or-"

"No, it's completely normal." I smiled at his worried face. If he really does worry so much, then why does he provide me with such stress. "Now... will you tell me what had actually happened all those years ago? I know already that you know the story."