36

Angelina tried to pull me away from him, but I couldn't let go. "Raven, we should go," she said, crying. I shook my head and laid my head on his silent chest. 

"I'm not leaving," I snapped, tears running down my face. 

Sagacity landed next to us and I looked up at him. "I'm sorry," he murmured. I nodded and put my hand on Sagacity's wide snout. 

"Thank you."

He bowed his head again. Something floated around him, coming to my hand. The dragon's tear. "I doubt you need this anymore?" I shook my head, but still tied it around my neck. He smiled and looked to Phoenix. 

Ruby stumbled over to us and collapsed. "You did so well," I said. She nodded and looked down at her dead brother. Tears ran down her face. "Phoenix would be so proud of you." She shook her head.

"I killed him, didn't I?" She sobbed. Angelina pulled her into a tight hug while I said, "No. He was just overpowered by the Winter Army. It's not one's fault."

The sun rose a little higher and a single golden beam reached down and struck the center of his chest. I backed up a few steps, urging Ruby and Angelina to do the same. Phoenix's wings curled around him and he burst into flames.

I screamed and ran toward him, but Sagacity stopped me. I watched as he turned into a pile of black ash before my eyes. Sagacity whispered in my ear, "Watch."

The ash moved as if disturbed by the wind. It swirled up and spiraled. In a small explosion of smoke, the ash disappeared. 

And Phoenix was back, standing on his feet. 

I threw myself into his arms. He stumbled back but kept upright. "I thought you were dead!" I sobbed into his chest. Angelina and Ruby ran to us and threw their arms around him. He laughed and hugged us all back.

"How are you alive?" Angelina demanded. 

"I guess the rumors were true," he said. I pulled back and asked, "Rumors?"

Angelina explained, "Someone born with Phoenix-like powers can sometimes be immortal. If they are killed, they just come right back."

I looked at him. "You're immortal?" He nodded, still shocked. Sagacity cleared his throat and we all turned. "What?" 

"Technically, now that you are the Dark Queen, you can become immortal."

"How?"

He opened a clawed hand, revealing a beautiful crown made from black, twisted metal, roped in jewels. "It all depends on if you take the throne or not, Queen Raven." I carefully stepped away from Phoenix and looked up at Sagacity

"What happens if I don't take it?" I asked.

"Another Tristian takes the throne and all would have been for naught," Sagacity replied. I nodded and dared to ask, "And if I do take it?"

He chuckled. "I believe that that is up to you." He winked.

I reached out and picked up the crown. As I slowly set it down on my head, my clothes melted into a long black and red dress. The reached my hand out and crafted a long staff out of ebony and set the dragon's tear on the top. The wood circled over it, creating the handle.

Sagacity bowed before me and said, "Long live Queen Raven." 

The others bowed before me Sagacity contiuned, "The Dark Queen of Vivianeth."