I: Ichi

Our first order under the command of the Fujioka clan is to have Lady Fujioka escort us to where the shinobi reside.  That realization brings a grim reality to Jun's face as we pack for the trip.

Yes, it was hard in the beginning to believe that my oldest friend, the person I grew up with, was actually a woman.  Of course, once I started to think about it more, I saw the little irregularities that should have alerted me to the fact sooner.

She is riding close to Rika now, another one of her childhood friends.  We all know that both of the Fujiokas are hoping that Jun will take her to wife.  I don't know how Jun plans to break the news to her that their hopes will never be fulfilled.

Perhaps she already has told her as we both know that she cannot live as a man forever without someone else figuring it out, someone more dangerous and less committed to her than me.  Rika would be her best chance of learning how to adapt to a female's role in life, for the ties of friendship tend to bond people deeper than others.

"Ryuu," Rika says, finally comfortable with dropping my title after three days of travel, "what was your impression of the shinobi Saiko?"

Their horses draw near mine, and both of the riders' faces are turned towards me.  I see a sly smile teasing Jun's lips, and I know that she remembers what I thought of the tricky shinobi.

"I share my father and the late lord Amachi's opinion on the shinobi.  They can be useful at times, but you cannot expect them to watch your back for you," I answer.  "I have never employed one, and I do not intend to unless there is a desperate need that I believe only one of them can fill."

A slight laugh escapes Jun.  "From the way he approached me to tell me of Saiko's arrival, I would have thought that he found a grave of rotting bodies within his tent.  Typically the more polite Ryuu is, the less he likes the person he is speaking to."

"Shinobi are overly secretive and uncannily able to hide within a normal crowd of people.  I can respect their talents, and I can respect their training, but I will not trust someone whose loyalty to you depends upon payment," I retort, probably proving her point.

She smiles at me as Rika says, "Anyone that we see here will not be under any obligations at the time.  The shinobi only return to camp when they are between jobs.  Even if there was a threat, I am sure that Junichi and I could protect you from the vicious clutches of the shinobi."

Her words manage to startle a laugh out of me, which breaks what little control the two women had over their own laughter.  I fear that Jun is going to fall out of her saddle, so I edge my horse closer in case.

However, it is me who is nearly unseated when a light weight settles behind me, frightening my horse.  A short burst of laughter echoes in my ear as I pat the mare's neck gently.

"Did you miss me, Lord Igarashi Ryuu, general of the Amachi clan?" The shinobi says, mirth still filling his voice.  "Rather, did you grow fond enough of me during our time together that you did not immediately throw a feast at news of my demise?"

A growl is born in my throat as I turn to look at Saiko, who has a smirk stretched across his face.  "All happiness at your sudden reappearance has now been erased by the fact that you nearly made my horse throw me.  If you ever do that again, I will tie you to my horse and ride out to the sea to drown you."

He pats my shoulder, almost as if he is calming a skittish horse.  "You really don't handle surprises very well, do you?  Best be working on that, samurai, because where you're going, we love surprises."

I ignore Saiko, catching up with the women, who are waiting a distance away.  The shinobi waves cheerfully at them while I'm sure I look like a darkened cloud on the horizon.

"So lovely to see you ladies once more," he says.  "Our leader sent me out to see what was headed our way.  I couldn't imagine a nicer sight to stumble upon, unless you left the general behind."

"You make one more snide comment, shinobi, and this horse will be one rider lighter," I snarl.  "And get your hands off of my waist.  Unless you are a lady, you should be able to hold onto the horse using your legs."

The last leg of the journey takes the longest, for the mere fact that I had to listen to Saiko engage the ladies in conversation the entire way.  I am relieved when the roofs of the shinobi village come into view.

Just over the rise stands a couple, the man with hair the coloring of the setting sun and the women with light brown hair, both clearly not originating from Japan.  They both smile at the sight of us, and the man raises his free hand in greeting.

"Welcome, Lady Fujioka Rika, Lord Amachi Junichi, and Lord Igarashi Ryuu.  I am called Masumo and this is my wife Emi.  It is a honor to offer you hospitality."

They both bow politely as Saiko springs down from my horse.  "What about your ever loyal servant Saiko, the increasingly wily shinobi and pride of the clan?  My sacrifice has been great, due mainly to the mood of my riding partner."

Emi shakes her head at him before saying something to her husband that I could not understand.  He answers back and directs his gaze back towards us.

"Forgive Saiko; he forgets at times that not everyone is looking to swell his bloated ego.  We will escort you to where you will be staying."

The three of us dismount rather than towering over our hosts.  Jun accepts an embrace from Emi as does Rika, who whispers in her ear before pulling away.  Least to say, I feel a tad bit awkward during the exchange.

Masumo notes my discomfort, touching his wife's shoulder slightly.  She smiles at him before hooking her arm in his.  After stabling the horses, they lead us to a small house set a little ways apart from the others.

"There are three bedrooms in here," Emi says.  "However, the common room is shared.  Shall you require anything while you are here, please come and find one of us.  Our house is just down the way, near the training area."

Jun looks around for a moment.  "Who's our closest neighbor in this location?  You know, so we are not surprised in the case of a crisis."

A glint lights in the other's eyes.  "The nearest house belongs to Saiko.  If you prefer someone else, there is another guest house on the other side.  He's not too fond of others, but he will be able to help."

I exchange a look with Jun as the husband/wife pair disappears out the door.  Rika has settle onto one of the cushion on the floor and speaks for the first time since we set foot into the room.

"Emi was referring to Hikaru.  He is another one of the strays they picked up from who-knows-where," she says.  "I do not think that he is a recluse; I merely believe that he sees no use for others most of the time."

"Would he be better than Saiko or worse?" Jun asks.  "I hate to bother anyone, but it might be best to find someone a little more receptive."

The other lady shrugs.  "We will not know until he meets the two of you.  He reacts differently to everyone."

Honestly, I don't think that we are going to need assistance.  I leave the women to their discussion, wandering off to set my bags down.  Choosing a bedroom at random, I drop my burdens to the floor and scan the area.

The futon is placed next to one of the interior walls with a low table and some cushions in the middle.  Not even bothering to unpack, I pad over to the bed and collapse upon it.

My eyes close faster than expected, and I drift away into the comfortable arms of sleep.