Ivorian Characters - @lycaamobile

Hi everyone, I'm Hans (@Lycaamobile) and I was born and currently live in London, although throughout my childhood I've lived in different places like Coventry, France and Ivory Coast. I'm from Ivory Coast and France although I'm more closer to my Ivorian side and have no knowledge of my French side aside from the fact I'm from Poitiers.

My problem is that the majority of the books I've read that contain black characters are usually of Caribbean decent (which in most cases are Jamaican) and if they are of African decent, they're usually Nigerian or Ghanaian. Now, I have no problem with these considering these are amazing countries with unique culture but there are indeed other countries other than Jamaica, Nigeria and Ghana.

There are 54 unique countries in Africa each with interesting traditions but I'm going to be centering this chapter around Ivory Coast also known as Côte D'ivoire. I'm aware that the country doesn't sound familiar to people so I'm going to give it the recognition it deserves.

Being the world's largest exporter of cocoa beans, Ivory coast is a country located in the western part of Africa neighbouring countries such as Ghana and Liberia. It's capital city is Yamoussoukro (known for having the biggest church in the world!) although formerly Abidjan was it's capital city. Despite it's official language being French, languages like Bété, Dioula and Boulé are it's native dialects as well as being a few of the country's many tribes. They also speak Nouchi, similar to Jamaica's patois.

The skin tones of Ivorians vary, you may find that you'll find a dark skin with chestnut brown hair or even a light skin with blonde hair (which my cousin has believe it or not although she's fully black and not albino). We are all different with individual characteristics.

Previously being in the French colony, our names have been influenced by the French. For example, you may find that somebody's name is Jean-Claude or Aida. As well as having French names, we also have native names depending on the tribe you're from.

Despite the media often misrepresenting us and claiming they are a shortage of food, Ivory Coast dishes consist of Aloko (fried plantain that is usually fried in palm oil and seasoned with onions, pepper ect), foufou (plantain), foutou. Our most favoured dish however is Attieke, fermented cassava that has been grated. This can be eaten with chicken or fish. Food differs depending on the ethnic group.

They also have a great artists, sports stars ect. For example, being the founders of Coupé-decalé, which has been popularised by the Congolese. Great examples of artists originating from the Ivory Coast are DJ Afarat, Magic System, Serge Beynaud. Great examples of sport stars are Didier Drogba, a footballer who previously played for Chelsea (in which I support), Yaya Toure, a footballer who currently plays for Manchester City and Marie-Jousee Ta Lou, an athlete who runs for Ivory Coast.

Fun facts;

In 2015, Ivory Coast won the African Cup of Nations after defeating neighbouring country Ghana.

In 2016, Ivory Coast won it's first gold medal in Olympic's Taekwondo.

The majority of the civilians there are Muslims, Roman Catholics, Christians or a native religion.

Ivory Coast shares some relation with Ghana, an example being the ethnic group Baoule in which it's people originated from Ghana but currently reside in Ivory Coast.