Chapter Twenty Five

I apologize for the shortness but I hope y'all still enjoy! I'll be going back and dedicating chapter to readers!

Chapter Twenty Five

"Did you contact them?"

I glanced at Sage, narrowing my eyes. "I thought you were one to use your common sense. When would I have had time to contact the councilmen between patching Todd up, hmm?" I snapped, Sage glaring before we both turned our attention back to the current situation.

Council member Warren stood to the side with a smug smirk on his face while guards were escorting King Sandalius outside. His feet and arms had been restrained by chains while there was also one around his neck. We asked if this was necessary only to be told that when dealing with a beast you treat them as such.

The King did not resist but allowed them to treat him as if he was a beast. Shaterria stood to the side watching as well, her face holding an angered look. She knew just as well as we did that nothing could be done.

"What new evidence was provided that allowed you to take him?" I asked, Council member Warren turning his attention to me with a grimace. But it was quick to turn into a coy smile.

"We weren't given new evidence. You see, Rowan, your King turned himself in," he explained, surprising Sage and I. Shaterria, however, still held the same expression as if this was not news to her.

I turned towards her, snapping, "Did you have something to do with this?" Her face turned to stone at the accusation, looking towards Sage for help. But he stood by me, waiting for an answer as well.

"I do as the King says, unlike you. He told me it was time and to send for the councilmen. I attempted to reason with him but he had no interest in changing his decision," she snapped back, piercing eyes staring me down.

I bit back a reply, looking towards Warren who appeared pleased with himself. "This is not over," I said firmly but he just shook his head.

"Ah, but it is, isn't it? Who are you here to tame now? Your job is gone, Rowan. Now you can pack up and leave. Isn't that what you wanted all along?" he asked, smirking when he received no reply.

All of us followed as he walked out, telling them to load the King into the cart. I clicked my tongue in irritation, upset with the conditions of the transportation. It looked like a vehicle made for catching stray animals on the street before they were euthanized. 

I could see the King's hazel eyes watching us from inside, as mysterious as always. I did not see fear, worry, or concern about his own fate. It seemed like he had accepted his fate and would make no move to change it.

"Let's go!" Council member Warren snapped, the horses running off not at the sound of his words, but at the whip biting into their skin. We all watched until the disappeared down the road, no one else in sight.

"Your wish has now been granted. Congratulations." I whirled around at Sage's harsh words in time to see him walking away. Shaterria looked between the two of us before deciding it was better to stay out of it, walking in the opposite direction. I huffed, walking after Sage.

"Excuse me?" I snapped, loud enough I was sure he had heard me. Yet, he continued on as if I had not spoken, walking without hesitation in his steps.

"I know you heard me!" I yelled, walking a little faster, grabbing his arm. He whirled around, a storm lurking in his eyes. He was upset with the events that had just unfolded, yet I was not to blame. I did not tell the King to call for the councilmen. That was a decision he had come to on his own.

"If you had not ventured outside, this would not have happened. The King would not have called the councilmen out of guilt for something he did not do," he said lowly, containing his anger for the time being.

I scoffed before replying bitterly. "Is he all that matters to you, your precious King? If I did not go outside, Todd would have been dead! I have no regrets and would do so again, understand that." Sage narrowed his eyes before he laughed humorlessly at my words.

"You are not much different, Rowan. You care only for yourself and two others. Do not accuse me of callousness when you are the same way," he paused before his lips turned down and he added, "You have been granted your wish. You wanted an opportunity to leave and now you have one." With that, he walked away, leaving me alone.

He was right. I had no responsibility to stay here anymore. The King was no longer here, so I did not have a job. So I packed my things, making a crude shift to carry Todd in, and left.