Chapter Twenty Six

This banner is so beautiful, I'm obsessed with it! Thank you so much for sending this in behindthathoodie (:

My email is open if you would like to send your banners for Asher in! Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 1845

~Alaya

Not only is the forest we walk into dark, but it's cold. Ice cold.

Asher walks in front of me, no part of his gait suggesting he is worried about what he just did. He killed someone. No, he killed one of Sinful's workers.

There is no direct path Asher follows. He just walks blindly into the darkness, that swallows us whole. The crunch of our footsteps on fallen leaves is the only sound I can hear, the entire place drenched with an eerie feel. How Asher can even see in this darkness is beyond me, as it gets to the point where I have to fist the back of his jacket in my hand as he blindly leads me forward.

"Care to explain?" I question breathlessly. His strides are much longer than mine, and the more I walk, the more I struggle to keep up. Soon, his shirt comes out of my grasp, and when I reach out again, he's not there.

I quicken my pace over, my feet catching at times on the debris I can't see. Eventually I accept that I won't be able to catch up with him.

"Asher!" I cry out loudly, but it's as if the ebony of the night consumes my words.

Suddenly a pair of warm hands clasp my biceps from behind, making me shriek and jump. "Lost, sweetheart?"

Fate.

I don't need to see him to know. He has this caressing voice that's back by a tone of arrogance. Even though it would be nice to have some space between us, I still turn around and hold tightly onto his arm, pressing it against my chest. I'm not about to be left behind again.

"Where's Asher?" I question. I could strangle him right now.

All of a sudden, the space we stand in alights, and I can suddenly see again, after a few blinks. There are a circle of people around us, each one staring at Fate and I. In the middle, close to my feet, a pit fire had been lit by a force I would never be able to question.

"Right here," he says, and when I glance over my shoulder, he is right there, as if he had never left. Quickly, I let go of Fate's arm, stumbling away from them both, and the fire.

"How did you do that?"

It's pointless to ask, but I don't appreciate being messed with. When I look around the small group, I only see familiar faces. Destiny sits on a log pushed close to the fire, her hands folded neatly over her lap. She looks directly at the fire, her gaze unwavering. Aspen stands away from me, watching carefully to see if I would run. And Death, who sits close to Destiny, looking plain bored.

"We had to play with your mind to make it hard for you to explain where you went, if of course, in case you decide to speak to Sinful about us," Asher explains, and I growl lowly under my breath.

"Asher told us about your current relationship with Sinful," Fate adds, a smile toying on his face.

I'm not going to explain myself to him at all. There's no point. Obviously they find ridicule in the job I'm doing for them, so I'm not going to bother making sense of it to them. They can thank me later, when they are taking me back home. And if I'm right, I'll be the one who figures out why everyone is so terrified by him.

"Leave it," Asher says darkly, cutting Fate off from continuing on the subject matter. I try my best to ignore the look Fate shot us both.

Fate only continues to play. "Is there jealousy here, or is Alaya still convinced you can't feel any emotions?"